Power vs. Crawdads - Game Notes - August 19, 2013August 19, 2013 - South Atlantic League (SAL) - West Virginia Power Press Release
TOM "K" HARLAN: Power reliever Thomas Harlan entered the game in the top of the fifth inning and earned the win for the Power. The Fresno State product tossed three innings and recorded every out via strikeout. Harlan's nine strikeout performance was the most in his career and the most by any reliever in one game this year for the Power.
PLAYOFF PICTURE: West Virginia's win Sunday put them in a first place tie with the Hagerstown Suns in the second half after Hagerstown and Asheville were postponed Sunday due to rain. If Hagerstown wins the second half championship, the wild card in the division is rewarded to the team with the second-best overall record, where the Power lead the Crawdads by 2.5 games.
GET THE TOASTERS!: After collecting ten strikeouts Saturday evening, Power pitching has struck out the Crawdads 39 times over the three games played in the series. West Virginia ranks third in the South Atlantic League with 1,045 strikeouts, seven behind league leading Charleston. The Crawdads have struck out 1,257 time this season, the most in the league and are 52 away from tying the all-time league record in strikeouts.
LOOKING AHEAD: The Power have 14 games left this season and only four at Appalachian Power Park. After this series against Hickory, the Power will play the remaining games against teams in the Southern Division. When West Virginia's homestand finishes Monday, the Power will play three games in Charleston, SC against the Riverdogs and three in Savannah with the Sand Gnats. The final homestand of the 2013 season is August 27-29 against the Asheville Tourists.
RECORD WATCH: Josh Bell collected his 37th double of the season in the first inning of Sunday's win. Bell is three doubles away from tying Dan Gamache's 2012 club record of 40. Walker Gourley's 32 stolen bases ranks ninth in club history with 2011 Power Drew Maggi and Eric Farris from the 2008 club.
SURE THING: West Virginia closer Jhondaniel Medina collected his team high ninth save Sunday, working a three-batter inning. Medina's nine save is tied for seventh most in Power history. 2012 Power Nate Kilcrease holds the club record with 15 saves. Medina joined the Power June 6th from Bradenton and is 2-1 with a 1.61 ERA in 23 games with the Power. Opponents are hitting .150 against Medina in 28.0 innings pitched. Medina was acquired by the Pittsburgh Pirates last offseason in a trade for Yamaico Navarro.
POWER POINTS: Tyler Glasnow added seven strikeouts in four innings Friday for a total of 147 this season, tied for seventh most in Charleston South Atlantic League history... The 72 wins by the Power this season are the most since the affiliation with the Pirates began in 2009...Fransico Aponte was promoted to the Power roster after third baseman Eric Wood was placed on the disabled list August 15.
AROUND THE ORGANIZATION: Pittsburgh lost in 16 innings to Arizona 4-2 and are ahead by one game in the NL Central...Indianapolis scored two runs in the fourth by Syracuse defeated the Indians 3-2...Alen Hanson collected an RBI for Altoona but the Curve fell to Erie 3-1...Bradenton's game with Fort Myers was suspended after three innings with Bradenton ahead 2-0. The game will be resumed August 29th...Jin-de Jhang hit two home runs and collected 6 RBI in Jamestown's 7-1 victory over Auburn.
ON THE AIR: West Virginia Power games can be heard on Charleston's ESPN 104.5 FM and 1490 AM in Charleston, WV, and online at wvpower.com. Adam Marco will call the action for all 140 games this season and will be joined by Mike Baggerman when the team plays at Appalachian Power Park.
South Atlantic League Stories from August 19, 2013
- Legends Take on First-Place Augusta as Homestand Opens Tuesday - Lexington Legends
- Shorebirds Swept in Doubleheader by BlueClaws - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Crawford, Leiter Shine as Claws Sweep Doubleheader - Lakewood BlueClaws
- RiverDogs Come up Short, Drop Third Straight - Charleston RiverDogs
- Legends Defeat Drive, 5-1 - Greenville Drive
- Five Run Fifth Sends Rome to Victory - Rome Braves
- Legends Take 5-1 Win over Greenville - Lexington Legends
- Seventh Straight Win Completes Sweep - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Hickory Tops Power in Homestand Finale - West Virginia Power
- Intimidators vs. Grasshoppers - Game Notes - August 19, 2013 - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Williams Named SAL Player of the Week - Hickory Crawdads
- Parker Bridwell Named SAL Pitcher of the Week - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- Gnats Split Doubleheader with Jackets - Savannah Sand Gnats
- Intimidators announce 2014 schedule - Kannapolis Intimidators
- RiverDogs Preview Homestand - Charleston RiverDogs
- Power vs. Crawdads - Game Notes - August 19, 2013 - West Virginia Power
- Shorebirds' Doubleheader Tonight at 6:05 PM - Delmarva Shorebirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.