Crowley Paces Pitching Staff in 5-1 Series VictoryAugust 16, 2013 - Midwest League (MWL) Burlington Bees
In Crowley's last appearance, he tossed six scoreless innings and left in line for the win, but the Bees fell in that contest. The second time was a charm for Crowley (10-6), as the southpaw moved to second in the Midwest League in victories thanks to one of his best performances of the year.
The Cougars (49-69, 19-33) won on Thursday, despite only scoring one run on three hits. The Bees (48-70, 22-31) would not let the Cougars win another game by only scoring one run.
Willson Contreras went deep to start the second for his 17th home run to give Kane County a 1-0 lead. Marco Hernandez followed with a double, but he was left stranded when Crowley retired the next three Cougars.
Burlington answered back to take the lead in the fourth against Felix Pena. Pena (4-6) surrendered a leadoff single to Sherman Johnson, and was able to get the next two outs. However, Wade Hinkle lined a ball into left field to score Johnson. Hinkle was able to get all the way to third on the play because Jose Dore tried to cut the ball off and kicked it into centerfield. Julio Concepcion brought Hinkle home with a single and gave the Bees a 2-1 lead after four innings.
The Bees added to the lead in the sixth when Hinkle's RBI groundout scored Angel Rosa to extend the lead to 3-1. One inning later, Burlington put the game away, scoring two runs against Justin Amlung. Sandy Martinez started the frame with his second home run of the year. Chevy Clarke followed with a double and scored on a single by Wendell Soto.
Austin Adams, Joey Krehbiel and Kurt Spomer combined to toss 2 2/3 scoreless innings of the bullpen, and helped the Bees stay within five games of Peoria and Clinton for the final playoff spot.
Burlington will now head to Quad Cities to begin a four-game series with the River Bandits. Brandon Love will square off against Joe Bircher at 7:00 p.m. at Modern Woodmen Park.
Midwest League Stories from August 16, 2013
- Guerrero notches record-tying six hits in 14-5 rout - Lansing Lugnuts
- Silver Hawks' Big Eighth Inning Sinks Captains - Lake County Captains
- LumberKings Use 6-Run 6th to Sweep Bandits - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Guerrero's Career Night Sinks Whitecaps - West Michigan Whitecaps
- LumberKings Finish off Sweep, 6-1 - Clinton LumberKings
- Peoria's four-run seventh stops Wisconsin - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Chiefs Win 7-2 Friday - Peoria Chiefs
- Kernels Sweep Snappers in Front of Record Crowd - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Cougars' Offense Quieted in 5-1 Loss - Kane County Cougars
- TinCaps Swept by Hot Rods - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Win, Complete Series Sweep - Dayton Dragons
- Hot Rods Sweep TinCaps on Harrison's Shutout Start - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Crowley Paces Pitching Staff in 5-1 Series Victory - Burlington Bees
- Dragons' Ervin Placed on Disabled List - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Announce Roster Moves: August 16 - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Justin Verlander's parents to appear at Fifth Third Ballpark - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Mike Gonzales activated from 7-day disabled list - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Rattlers keep playoff hopes alive with 15-inning victory - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Chiefs Lose 5-4 in 15 Innings Thursday - Peoria Chiefs
- LumberKings Walk off River Bandits, 6-5 - Quad Cities River Bandits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.