Errors Cost TinCaps in Loss to Hot RodsAugust 15, 2013 - Midwest League (MWL) - Fort Wayne TinCaps Press Release
The first of five unearned runs for Bowling Green (31-22, 69-52) came in the opening half-inning. Andrew Toles led the contest off with a single and scored with the game's second batter still at the plate. Fort Wayne (19-33, 62-59) starter Bryan Rodriguez threw a wild pickoff attempt to first enabling Toles to take second base. The Midwest League's leader in stolen bases then swiped third for his 53rd stolen bag of the year and scored when catcher Rodney Daal's throw to third base went to left field.
The TinCaps took the lead in the bottom of the third inning thanks to the home run ball. Second baseman Reynaldo Bruguera cranked a solo homer - the first of his TinCaps career - over the 15-foot high wall in right field to tie the game, 1-1. After an Alberth Martinez double, Quintana gave Fort Wayne the lead with a two-run shot to left.
Poor defense cost the TinCaps the lead in the top of the fifth. After Justin O'Conner was hit by a pitch and Marty Gantt singled, Rodriguez struck out Patrick Leonard and got Brandon Martin to fly out to center field. That's when things went south for Fort Wayne. Center fielder Mallex Smith committed a throwing error, which allowed O'Conner to score all the way from second base on the fly out. First baseman Luis Tejada committed the inning's next error, as he misplayed a hard-hit bouncer by Toles to bring home Gantt to tie the game, 3-3. The comedy of errors continued when Rodriguez (2-7, despite a 3.22 ERA) balked to advance Toles to second. DÃ©jÃÂ vu of the first inning, Toles swiped third base and scored on another throwing error by Daal that made it 4-3 in favor of the visitors.
The Hot Rods added their fifth unearned run in the sixth. Following a Luke Maile double, Quintana muffed an O'Conner grounder to put runners at the corners. Gantt took advantage of his opportunity to come to bat in the inning with a two-out RBI single.
Fort Wayne sliced its deficit to 5-4 with Quintana's second homer of the game to lead off the bottom of the sixth. But Bowling Green went back up by two in the next half-inning with an RBI triple from Tommy Coyle.
With his defense committing no blunders behind him, Jeff Ames (8-4) took the win for the Hot Rods. He went seven innings and struck out four. Marcus Jensen closed the game, tallying his fifth save of the season.
The TinCaps and Hot Rods wrap up their three-game series at Parkview Field on Friday night at 7:05 p.m. Joe Ross (4-7, 3.97) is set to start for Fort Wayne against Bowling Green's Jordan Harrison (3-2, 2.81). The game can be heard on The Fan 1380 and TheFanFortWayne.com, and seen on XFINITY Channel 81.
Midwest League Stories from August 15, 2013
- Taylor Ard Supplies Walk-Off Winner - Clinton LumberKings
- Green's Early Homer Not Enough In 2-1 Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Kernels Complete Comeback with Walker's Double and Licon's Homer - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Errors Cost TinCaps in Loss to Hot Rods - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Shuts Down Loons - Great Lakes Loons
- Four Cougars Pitchers Shutout the Bees - Kane County Cougars
- Hernandez's Solo Home Run Gives Cougars 1-0 Win - Burlington Bees
- Sweeney supplies the offense in 2-1 win over 'Caps - Lansing Lugnuts
- Toles Breaks On-Base Record in Hot Rods Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Travieso, 2 Relievers Combine on Dragons 3-Hit Shutout Win - Dayton Dragons
- Captains Blank South Bend 1-0 - Lake County Captains
- Illinois Native Jay Voss Heading to Peoria - Peoria Chiefs
- TinCaps Announce Roster Moves: August 15th - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons on TV Friday and Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- Cougars Preview Homestand - Kane County Cougars
- American Celebration Night at Fifth Third Field - Dayton Dragons
- Snappers Back at Pohlman Four Sure - Beloit Snappers
- Seth-cess and Failure - Beloit Snappers
- Captains Team up with Carver Financial for Carver's 26th Annual Food Drive - Lake County Captains
- LumberKings Outlast Bandits in 9-7 Slugfest - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Clinton Perseveres Through Sloppy Game - Clinton LumberKings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.