Monarchs Announce Winning Jersey For Los Angeles Kings NightAugust 15, 2013 - American Hockey League (AHL) - Manchester Monarchs Press Release
Following the 1994-95 NHL Lockout and the purchase of the Kings by Philip Anschutz and Edward Roski, Jr., the organization joined an NHL-wide initiative to introduce third jerseys. The Kings jersey featured an arcing stripe from the right shoulder down the left hip that faded from black to gray. It included shoulder patches of the Kings primary logo at the time and a new King logo on the upper left front of the jersey that is the only human image ever featured on a Kings jersey. The alternate jersey was introduced on January 27, 1996 when the Kings won, 5-4, against the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim at the Great Western Forum.
The Monarchs began the jersey contest on August 1 with fans having the opportunity to vote on one of three jerseys: the yellow jersey the Kings wore during the 1972-1980 seasons, the first-ever alternate jersey from the 1995-96 season or the purple jersey the Kings wore from 2002-2007. Fans not only voted, but spread the word of the jersey vote and garnered national attention on Yahoo Sports' Puck Daddy Blog. With a total of 75% of the votes, the jersey the Monarchs will wear on Los Angeles Kings Night in January 2014 will be based off the alternate jersey from the 1995-96 season.
"Our fans have always been outspoken and passionate about our specialty jerseys so we found it fitting for them to be the ones to decide the inspirational design for Los Angeles Kings Night," said Abbott. "Now, we will take the winning jersey design and add a Monarchs touch to it. I look forward to seeing the end result and seeing our players wearing it in January."
The Monarchs have previously worn specialty Kings jerseys based off the designs from the 1991-93 seasons and the current Kings home jersey.
Fans have the opportunity to select seats for the 2013-14 season with packages starting at less than $25 per month! Do not miss out on great Monarchs games such as Mullets In Movember on Saturday, November 16 and the annual New Year's Eve Celebration featuring the largest indoor fireworks display in New England on Tuesday, December 31. For ticket information, visit www.manchestermonarchs.com or call (603) 626-7825.
American Hockey League Stories from August 15, 2013
- Wild Announce Preseason Schedule - Iowa Wild
- Penguins Name O'Brien Director of Broadcasting and Media Relations - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Barons skating in pair of preseason games in Cedar Park - Oklahoma City Barons
- Monarchs Announce Winning Jersey For Los Angeles Kings Night - Manchester Monarchs
- IceHogs Annnounce Preseason Schedule - Rockford IceHogs
- Griffins Youth Foundation Golf Classic Set for Aug. 26 at Egypt Valley - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Texas Stars Announce 2013-14 Pre-Season Game Schedule - Texas Stars
- Rampage Announce Preseason Schedule - San Antonio Rampage
- Wolves Open Training Camp on Sept. 21 - Chicago Wolves
- Admirals Set Pre-Season Schedule - Milwaukee Admirals
- David Blitzer and Joshua Harris Acquire Devils - Albany Devils
- Crunch will travel to St. John's to defend Mary Brown Cup title - Syracuse Crunch
- Crunch Back to Defend Mary's Cup Versus IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.