Hillcats Complete Sweep of Winston-SalemAugust 13, 2013 - Carolina League (CarL) - Lynchburg Hillcats Press Release
The Hillcats (21-26, 57-59) and Dash (24-26, 63-58) traded runs in the first inning. Hillcats starter A.J. Holland made an error on a pickoff attempt to allow Joey DeMichele to score the games first run in the top half. David Rohm singled home Matt Lipka in the home half to tie it at 1-1.
The Hillcats plated two runs in the second inning, leading off the frame with three straight hits. Elmer Reyes led off with a single, Trent Moses hit his first triple of his professional career to drive in Reyes then scored on a Castro line drive single, it was 3-1 Hillcats after two innings.
The Dash tied it up with two runs in the third inning. Mark Haddow singled home Kevin Smith and Courtney Hawkins stopped at third on the play but scored on a wild pitch during the next at bat. A sacrifice fly in the fourth gave the Dash a brief lead, but it would be all Hillcats from there.
Two wild pitches led to two runs in the fourth with Reyes and Castro coming in to score. Dash manager Ryan Newman and pitching coach J.R. Perdew were both ejected during that fourth inning for arguing that Lipka's follow through knocked a would-be foul tip strike three out of the catcher Kevan Smith's glove.
Rivera (6-0) pitched three scoreless innings for the win while Braulio Ortiz (0-4) gave up five runs on five hits in five innings to take the loss. John Cornely pitched a perfect ninth inning for his fifth save of the season.
The Hillcats finish the season with a 14-6 regular season record against the Dash. They begin a three-game set with the Wilmington Blue Rocks on Wednesday at City Stadium. It's the last Win-Win Wednesday of the season, with fans getting a free ticket to our doubleheader on Wednesday August 28 against the Carolina Mudcats. It's also University of Virginia night at the ballpark with gates opening at 6pm for the 7:05pm first pitch. Greg Ross (7-5, 3.43) takes the ball for Lynchburg against Sam Selman (9-8, 3.53) for the Blue Rocks. Erik Wilson has the broadcast starting with the Hillcats On-Deck Show, powered by Honda/Suzuki of Lynchburg, on 97.9 FM The Planet and lynchburg-hillcats.com.
Carolina League Stories from August 13, 2013
- Keys Stunned by Pelicans, 10-8, in Extras - Frederick Keys
- Adams Slams Keys to Fuel Five-Run Comeback - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Hillcats Complete Sweep of Winston-Salem - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Dash Suffer Second Sweep in Last 94 Series - Winston-Salem Dash
- Potomac Prevails in 9-8 Slugfest Rubber Match Finale with Carolina - Potomac Nationals
- Nationals Hold Off Mudcats in Matinee Finale - Carolina Mudcats
- Dash vs. Hillcats - Game Notes - August 13, 2013 - Winston-Salem Dash
- Hillcats vs. Dash - Game Notes - August 13, 2013 - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Pelicans vs. Keys - Game Notes - August 13, 2013 - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Salem Sox vs. Blue Rocks - Game Notes - August 13, 2013 - Salem Red Sox
- P-Nats Pitched In to Assist Oklahoma Tornado Victims With a Successful Sports Memorabilia Auction - Potomac Nationals
- P-Nats 2014 Season Tickets Now On Sale - Potomac Nationals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.