Catcher Eliezer Alfonzo Joins IsotopesAugust 12, 2013 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) - Albuquerque Isotopes
Alfonzo, 34, signed with the Los Angeles Dodgers on December 14, 2012 and has spent the 2012 and 2013 seasons playing with Diablos Rojos del Mexico of the Mexican League. In 66 games (23 as a designated hitter) with the Diablos Rojos this season, the veteran catcher posted a .374 (88-for-254) average with 14 doubles, 21 home runs and 60 RBI.
The 5-foot-11 backstop has six seasons of Major League service, spending time with San Francisco (2006-2008), San Diego (2009), Seattle (2010) and Colorado (2011). He has also had Minor League stints with St. Louis, Milwaukee and the then-Florida Marlins affiliates over his professional career.
Originally signed as a non-drafted free agent by the St. Louis Cardinals in 1996, he made his Major League debut with the Giants on June 3, 2006. The Venezuelan native has a career .240 batting average with 24 doubles, 17 home runs and 67 RBI in the Majors. Alfonzo has tossed out 39 of 132 potential base stealers (30%) in his big league career.
Stewart was released after joining the Isotopes on July 5. He was signed by the Dodgers as a free agent after beginning the season in the Chicago Cubs organization at Triple-A Iowa. The Californian hit .174 (15-for-86) with six doubles and two home runs in 27 games with Albuquerque this year.
The Isotopes open their only regular-season series of 2013 against the Salt Lake Bees tonight at 6:35 PM. Angel Castro (7-3, 3.65) and Barry Enright (7-5, 6.12) of Salt Lake will go head-to-head in game one. Catch all of the game action with Josh Suchon on the call.
Tickets are on sale now at the Isotopes Park Box Office, at Ticketmaster outlets, through Ticketmaster by phone at (800) 745-3000, or online at www.abqisotopes.com or www.ticketmaster.com. For information, please call (505) 924-2255.
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 12, 2013
- River Cats Lose Pitchers' Duel to I-Cubs, 2-1 - Sacramento River Cats
- Rainiers Roughed Up At Round Rock, 5-1 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Round Rock Takes Series Opener over Tacoma 5-1 - Round Rock Express
- Catcher Eliezer Alfonzo Joins Isotopes - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Tonight's Sky Sox Game Postponed Until Tomorrow - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Redbirds, Sky Sox Rained out in Colorado Springs - Memphis Redbirds
- RedHawks vs. Padres - Game Notes - August 12, 2013 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Romine and Kickham Named PCL Players of the Week - PCL
- Express and Rainiers Begin Four-Game Set Tonight at Dell Diamond - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Edge Sky Sox in Series Finale, 3-2 - Nashville Sounds
- RedHawks Leave Las Vegas on Short End - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sky Sox' Rally Falls Short in Loss to Sounds, 3-2 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Bass Lifts Padres over New Orleans - Tucson Padres
- Zephyrs Drop Three of Four in Arizona - New Orleans Zephyrs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.