Fightins Crush Rock Cats, 12-3, in Record WinJuly 27, 2013 - Eastern League (EL) - Reading Fightin Phils Press Release
Like the first three games in the series, the Fightins fell behind to the Rock Cats by one run before their offensive outburst. On Saturday, Reading responded in the bottom of the frame with an RBI single from Maikel Franco that sent home Albert Cartwright. Reading kept rolling in the second inning when Anthony Hewitt launched a stand up triple over New Britain center fielder Jordan Parraz to score Kelly Dugan and break the 1-1 tie.
The team added to their lead in the fourth inning on a Troy Hanzawa sacrifice fly, but it was a five-run fifth the put the final nail in the New Britain coffin. Maikel Franco kick started the outpouring with a lead off double and Jim Murphy followed with a single. Rock Cats starter DJ Baxendale then plunked Kelly Dugan to load the bases with no outs for the bottom half of the order.
Franco and Murphy scored in the next at-bat when Eddie Rosario made an error on the throw to home after John Suomi grounded into second. The trio of Tyler Henson, Anthony Hewitt and Cartwright each hit run-scoring singles with one out in the inning to rack up the final three runs of the inning for Reading.
In the seventh inning, Henson continued his terrific night with his second double, this time an RBI hit that plated Jim Murphy. Henson picked up his first three-hit night since May 31st and drove in and scored a pair of runs.
Suomi put the game way out of reach in the eighth when he hit a three-run blast for his third total home run of the season.
Starting pitcher Seth Rosin earned his ninth win of the season after allowed one earned run over five innings. It took the former reliever 86 pitches to get through his outing. He also had four strikeouts and just one walk.
Tyler Knigge gave up two runs in his one inning outing, but otherwise, the Fightins bullpen shut down Rock Cats hitters with Hector Neris and Kyle Simon collaborating for three scoreless innings of relief.
Top Phillies prospect LHP Jesse Biddle (4-10, 3.51 ERA) and the Fightins seek the series sweep against New Britain and RHP Kyle Davies (0-0, 13.50 ERA). Tune into Oldies 1340 WRAW-AM, Service Electric's 2Sports, or MiLB.TV for the game broadcast with Fightins play-by-play announcer Anthony Oppermann at 5:35 p.m.
Eastern League Stories from July 27, 2013
- Fightins Crush Rock Cats, 12-3, in Record Win - Reading Fightin Phils
- Jacobo Homers But Fishers Fall Hard - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Dickerson, Cunningham Each Collect Four Hits in 9-2 Downing Of 'Cats - Altoona Curve
- Roberts Gives Strong Effort as Aeros Capture 7-4 Win - Akron RubberDucks
- Richmond Natives Take It to Squirrels, Aeros Roll, 7-4 - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Thunder-Mets Rained out in Binghamton Saturday - Trenton Thunder
- B-Mets & Thunder Postponed - Binghamton Mets
- Baysox and SeaWolves Suspended - Bowie Baysox
- SeaWolves and Baysox Suspended - Erie SeaWolves
- Ryan Vogelsong to Make Rehab Start in Richmond on Tuesday - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Fenway belongs to Portland on Saturday - Portland Sea Dogs
- Altoona Curve Game Information: July 27, 2013 - Altoona Curve
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Bowie Baysox - Doubleheader - Erie SeaWolves
- Senators Fall 5-2 at Fenway Park - Harrisburg Senators
- B-Mets Game Notes: Game #107 Binghamton Mets (65-40) vs. Trenton Thunder (54-52) - Binghamton Mets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.