Lizcano Collects Two Hits in Otters LossJuly 23, 2013 - Frontier League (FL) - Evansville Otters Press Release
It was a special 12:05 pm start at Historic Bosse Field, one of two day games that the Otters will play at home this season (September 4th - 10:05 am).
Evansville left-hander Jose Velez kept Traverse City scoreless through the first two innings but the pitcher left mid-way through the third with an injury.
Reliever Mike Hanley entered the game next but the Beach Bums scored on a fielding error, a sacrifice fly and an RBI double for a 3-0 lead.
Evansville surged back in the bottom of the fourth inning. Facing All-Star starter Scott Dunn, the Otters worked a leadoff double from Ricardo Lizcano. He would score on an RBI single from C.J. Henry.
Down 3-1, Nick Schwaner stepped up to the plate and brought Evansville within a run on another run-producing single.
It would be the closest Evansville would get in the game.
Using their bullpen and position players for the remainder of the contest, the Otters surrendered four runs in the sixth and another five runs in the seventh.
Infielder Taylor Black threw a scoreless eighth inning and catcher John Nester allowed just a single run while pitching in the top of the ninth.
Traverse City has now won back to back games beginning this homestand as Evansville has lost five games to begin the second half of the season.
Evansville will look to avoid a sweep on Wednesday night. It is Budweiser Folds of Honor Military Appreciation Night at Historic Bosse Field. Fans can enjoy $1 hot dogs at the game and a postgame fireworks extravaganza as well. Evansville has left-hander Matt Zielinski (6-3, 3.28) on the mound against Traverse City righty Johnny Omahen (4-5, 4.00). First pitch is set for 6:35 pm CDT. Fans can tune in to the Evansville Otters pregame show on WUEV 91.5 FM beginning at 6:15 pm CDT.
Frontier League Stories from July 23, 2013
- CornBelters Use Big 4th Inning to Beat Slammers - Normal CornBelters
- Boomers Dropped in Night Cap - Schaumburg Boomers
- Tuesday's Game Suspended, DH Tomorrow - Rockford Aviators
- CornBelters Ink Rookie Outfielder - Normal CornBelters
- Lizcano Collects Two Hits in Otters Loss - Evansville Otters
- Offense Backs Dunn's Historic Win - Traverse City Beach Bums
- ThunderBolts Shutout by Gateway Grizzlies - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Wilson's Gem Leads to 4-1 Victory - Florence Freedom
- Big Crowd Witnesses Doubleheader Opener - Schaumburg Boomers
- Grizzlies Pound Thunderbolts in Middle Game of the Series - Gateway Grizzlies
- Otters Host Traverse City in Special Day Game - Evansville Otters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.