Greg Bird Named SAL Player of the WeekJuly 22, 2013 - South Atlantic League (SAL) - Charleston RiverDogs
The week actually started out for Bird with a 0-4 game with a walk on July 15 against the Augusta GreenJackets in Charleston. He followed that up with a 1-3, RBI, two walk performance two days later on the road against the Greensboro Grasshoppers, and then went 1-4 with an RBI and a run scored in the second game against the Grasshoppers. The series finale in Greensboro is where the powerful lefty exploded for the best game of his young career. Bird had a night to remember going 4-5 with three homers and drove in all seven of Charleston's runs in the RiverDogs win. Over the weekend in Hickory against the Crawdads the 20-year old went 3-7 with two RBI, three walks, and four runs scored in two games. Bird reached base safely in all six games during the week.
The 20-year-old first baseman was selected by the New York Yankees in the fifth round of the 2011 MLB Amateur Draft out of Grandview High School in Aurora, Col. A 6'3", 215 lb. left-handed hitter, Bird is the second Charleston player to receive the SAL Player of the Week award this season. Peter O'Brien received the award back in mid-May.
South Atlantic League Stories from July 22, 2013
- Sand Gnats Edge Shorebirds 4-2 in 13 Innings - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Legends Win 7-3 for Eighth Straight - Lexington Legends
- 'Dads Ace Edwards Dealt to Cubs - Hickory Crawdads
- Drive Drop Third Straight to Legends, 7-3 - Greenville Drive
- Braves Batter BlueClaws 10-2 - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Crawdads Out Homered in 8-4 Loss - Hickory Crawdads
- RiverDogs Blast Their Way Past Hickory 8-4 - Charleston RiverDogs
- Six Run Fifth Pushes Braves to Victory - Rome Braves
- Power and Kannapolis Postponed - West Virginia Power
- Power schedule revised for earlier rainouts - West Virginia Power
- Power vs. Intimidators - Game Notes - July 22, 2013 - West Virginia Power
- Intimidators vs. Power - Game Notes - July 22, 2013 - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Greg Bird Named SAL Player of the Week - Charleston RiverDogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.