PawSox Hold on to 9-7 Win over BullsJuly 20, 2013 - International League (IL) - Pawtucket Red Sox
Pawtucket, looking for back to back wins for the first time since late June, jumped out in front of Bulls' starter Mike Montgomery in the 2nd inning. Mark Hamilton started the frame with a solo homer to right (#9) to grab a 1-0 lead. A pair of walks led to Dan Butler launching a three-run homer (#7) to make it 4-0. With two outs, another walk and a single preceded a two-run double by Will Middlebrooks to put the Sox ahead 6-0 after just two innings.
The Sox added another run in the 3rd against Montgomery as Jonathan Diaz singled, stole second and scored on an RBI single by Butler to make it 7-0.
PawSox starter Rubby De La Rosa flirted with disaster in the first two frames, but came out unscathed. However, in the 3rd, Durham cut into the Pawtucket lead plating three runs. A single, a double and a walk loaded the bases before Shelley Duncan doubled home two and Leslie Anderson hit a sacrifice fly to bring the score to 7-3 after three innings of play.
De La Rosa began the 4th, but would not finish it as he allowed a walk, a single and a sacrifice fly to make the score 7-4. After a hit by pitch, Clayton Mortensen was summoned from the bullpen and allowed a single to load the bases. But, the righty induced a double play to end the 4th without any further damage done. Mortensen would throw two full innings without allowing a run.
Jose Contreras, just signed by the Red Sox earlier in the day, entered with two men on and one out in the 6th and struck out a pair to keep the game with Pawtucket in front by three. He would walk two in the 7th, but got out of the frame unscathed.
The PawSox added two insurance runs in the 7th against Rhode Island native Jeff Belliveau as Alex Hassan ripped an RBI double and Jonathan Diaz singled home Hassan to extend the lead to 9-4.
Durham tightened the game in the 8th as they plated three runs against reliever Chris Carpenter to make it a 9-7 contest, but Anthony Carter got the final out of the 8th and retired the Bulls in order in the 9th to earn his 14th save of the season.
The PawSox will continue their series with the Bulls Saturday night with knuckleballer Charlie Haeger (1-1, 6.89) against Merrill Kelly (4-0, 1.70) on the hill for Durham at 7:05pm.
Pawtucket will return home to McCoy Stadium for an eight game homestand beginning Friday, July 26th through August 2nd against division rival Lehigh Valley and Norfolk.
International League Stories from July 20, 2013
- Indians Blanked by Braves 2-0 - Indianapolis Indians
- Louisville Pitching Quiets SWB in 2-1 Win - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Mejia Sets Homer Mark as G-Braves Win, 2-0 - Gwinnett Braves
- PawSox win 9-6 - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Pawtucket Deals Durham Third Straight Defeat - Durham Bulls
- Charlotte beats Norfolk 5-2 - Norfolk Tides
- Chiefs Club Red Wings on Saturday - Syracuse Chiefs
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Red Sox Sign Jose Contreras and Brandon Lyon - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Red Sox Recall De La Torre, Bailey to DL - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Projo Summertime Fund BBQ Monday, August 19 - Pawtucket Red Sox
- IronPigs Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bisons Notes - Toledo at Buffalo (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Rochester Red Wings Game Notes - Rochester Red Wings
- Hamilton, Bats Run to Victory - Louisville Bats
- PawSox Hold on to 9-7 Win over Bulls - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Gwinnett Gets by Tribe 4-3 - Indianapolis Indians
- Columbus Roasts Pigs - Columbus Clippers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.