Cougars Score Five in Seventh in WinJuly 16, 2013 - Midwest League (MWL) - Kane County Cougars Press Release
The Cougars (5-18, 35-54) found themselves down by two runs entering the seventh inning against Whitecaps (12-12, 45-49) reliever Angel Nesbitt (L, 3-2). Giuseppe Papaccio reached on an error to begin the frame before Carlos Escobar whacked a double. Willson Contreras followed by walloping a two-run triple to tie the game. Gioskar Amaya drove in Contreras with an RBI single to give the Cougars the lead. Jeimer Candelario knocked home Amaya by bouncing a ball to the second baseman who tossed to second for the second out of the inning. The relay throw to first from shortstop David Gonzalez sailed over first and allowed Albert Almora to score, capping a five-run seventh inning.
Nathan Dorris (W, 4-3) worked 2.1 innings out of the pen for the Cougars and did not allow a run while giving up three hits. Michael Hamann (S, 2) tossed 1.2 scoreless innings and allowed just one hit while striking out three.
The Whitecaps took the lead in the bottom of the first inning but the rains came after that. With the tarp on the field, the Cougars and Whitecaps waited out a one hour and 44 minute rain delay between the first and second innings.
Amaya recorded three hits in five at-bats. He scored twice and drove in a run. Almora recorded two hits. Dan Vogelbach tallied three singles. Carlos Escobar walked twice and smacked a double along with a single. Contreras drove in two runs, scored twice and delivered three hits in five at-bats.
The win snaps a season-high seven-game losing streak and the Cougars wrap up their six-game road trip at 1-5 with the win on Monday.
The Cougars return to Fifth Third Bank Ballpark on Wednesday, July 17, to take on the Great Lakes Loons at 6:30 p.m. Lefty Brian Smith (2-3) will work for the Cougars and righty Chris Anderson will toss for the Loons. For tickets, please call (630) 232-8811 or visit www.kccougars.com.
Midwest League Stories from July 16, 2013
- Cougars to Reach 10 Millionth Fan in Franchise History - Kane County Cougars
- Modern Woodmen Park Nominated for USA Today Award - Quad Cities River Bandits
- USA Today Releases Best Ballparks List - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Roster Moves as Kernels Begin Road Trip - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Captains Return Home for a Six-Game Home Stand Beginning Tomorrow - Lake County Captains
- Captains Start Six-Game Homestand Tomorrow - Lake County Captains
- Cougars Homestand Preview - July 17-22 - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons and Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield Team Up for "Home Run for Life" Tomorrow - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Homestand Preview - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Homestand Preview - Dayton Dragons
- Adam Brett Walker Named MWL Player of the Week - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Caps Play Into Tuesday, Fall Short Of Sweep - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Cougars Score Five in Seventh in Win - Kane County Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.