Heaps: "We weren't good enough; it's on us"July 14, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - New England Revolution
Two legitimate penalty claims were turned away in the second half as Dynamo defender Bobby Boswell raised his arm to block a shot from Lee Nguyen and goalkeeper Tally Hall appeared to cut down Dimitry Imbongo inside the box. The Revs suffered 15 fouls, but only one yellow card was handed out to a Dynamo player.
But in the aftermath - as the Dynamo tightened its grip on the fifth and final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference - the Revs mostly voiced disappointment in themselves for not responding to adversity in the method required.
"It was really physical really early," said head coach Jay Heaps. "Lee Nguyen got whacked hard two or three times by Ricardo Clark. You can only play; you need a little help once in a while. You need the man in the middle to say, "Âguys, we're going to play today.' When that doesn't happen, we need a reaction and we didn't get it from ourselves. That's what disappoints me.
"Unfortunately it's hard sometimes, but we weren't good enough. It's on us; the onus is on us. We've got to be stronger and we've got to be better."
The Revs were prepared for a physical game plan from the Dynamo, but struggled to react when the physicality went mostly unpunished. They failed to capitalize on the few set-piece opportunities provided them in the final third and eventually succumbed to a pair of long-range rockets from Adam Moffat.
"They obviously had a game plan and that was to disrupt us at midfield and put us under pressure," said Chris Tierney, who was left with a gash on his right ear after a first-half elbow from Moffat. "It was tough to deal with. Credit to them; they're a physical team and I don't think we dealt with that as well as we could have, but I thought we had some decent times in the game where we put some things together. Overall, I'm not sure we were good enough to take three (points)."
Major League Soccer Stories from July 14, 2013
- Chicago Fire Fall 3-1 to Vancouver Whitecaps FC - Chicago Fire
- Camilo scores 'Caps 100th goal in MLS, now MLS leading scorer - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Cubo Arrives at Chivas USA with One Objective: Succeed - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Once Again a Goal in Second Half Stoppage Time Dooms the LA Galaxy - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Stoppage Time Goal Helps Timbers Defeat Galaxy - Portland Timbers
- Portland Timbers get past LA Galaxy - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Heaps: "We weren't good enough; it's on us" - New England Revolution
- Dynamo wins over Revolution - New England Revolution
- Martinez's First Career MLS Goal Leads San Jose Earthquakes to 1-0 Win against Seattle - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake Extends Unbeaten Streak to 11 - Real Salt Lake
- Sounders FC fall - Seattle Sounders FC
- Delgado: We're playing for each other, it's a team - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Sporting KC Atop East After 3-0 Win over Toronto - Sporting Kansas City
- Real Salt Lake Snaps FC Dallas' 15-Game Home Unbeaten Streak - FC Dallas
- Dynamo doubles up on New England - Houston Dynamo
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.