Sounders FC fallJuly 14, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) Seattle Sounders FC
After a scoreless first half, San Jose found the goal in the 48th minute when Martinez received a ball from Steven Lenhart in the box, created some space, and finished into the top far corner of the net.
The goal came not long after Sounders FC was forced to make a halftime change at goalkeeper. Michael Gspurning suffered a left forearm injury and was replaced by Andrew Weber, who was signed on July 11.
Gspurning was strong in the first half, making a diving save on a strong overhead shot by Martinez in the 14th minute and a sprawling save on an Alan Gordon header in the 18th.
Brad Evans, playing in his 100th career game for Sounders FC, was the first Seattle player to leave in the 33rd minute due to a rib contusion. He is the just the third player in club history to hit the century mark in games played.
In the 52nd minute, Djimi Traore suffered a right hamstring injury strain and was replaced by Jhon Kennedy Hurtado.
Sounders FC had a number of chances despite managing just one shot on goal. In the 41st minute, Marc Burch's free kick deflected to Traore in the box, but the defender's volley skied over the crossbar. In the 74th minute, Mauro Rosales found Servando Carrasco at the near post for a header but it rolled wide.
Seattle created their best chance in the 83rd when Burch's corner found Eddie Johnson for an open header, but Earthquakes keeper Jon Busch made the save.
Midfielder Osvaldo Alonso made his return to the lineup tonight after missing the previous four matches with a quad injury and was issued a red card in stoppage time.
Burch started at left midfield, marking his first start at the position for Sounders FC.
Sounders FC returns to action next Saturday at home against the Colorado Rapids. Kickoff is at 1 p.m. PT on the Xbox Pitch at CenturyLink Field.
Major League Soccer Stories from July 14, 2013
- Chicago Fire Fall 3-1 to Vancouver Whitecaps FC - Chicago Fire
- Camilo scores 'Caps 100th goal in MLS, now MLS leading scorer - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Cubo Arrives at Chivas USA with One Objective: Succeed - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Once Again a Goal in Second Half Stoppage Time Dooms the LA Galaxy - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Stoppage Time Goal Helps Timbers Defeat Galaxy - Portland Timbers
- Portland Timbers get past LA Galaxy - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Heaps: "We weren't good enough; it's on us" - New England Revolution
- Dynamo wins over Revolution - New England Revolution
- Martinez's First Career MLS Goal Leads San Jose Earthquakes to 1-0 Win against Seattle - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake Extends Unbeaten Streak to 11 - Real Salt Lake
- Sounders FC fall - Seattle Sounders FC
- Delgado: We're playing for each other, it's a team - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Sporting KC Atop East After 3-0 Win over Toronto - Sporting Kansas City
- Real Salt Lake Snaps FC Dallas' 15-Game Home Unbeaten Streak - FC Dallas
- Dynamo doubles up on New England - Houston Dynamo
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.