Rapids Complete Transfer for Defender Chris Klute from AtlantaJuly 11, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) Colorado Rapids
"Chris has been a great addition to our squad, both in terms of his play on the field and attitude in the locker room," said Rapids Technical Director Paul Bravo. "His development is a testament to his hard work and the effort of our coaching staff, and we're eager to see his continued improvement this season and beyond."
"I am very happy to be a member of the Rapids," said Klute. "I would like to thank everyone in Atlanta for their help in getting me started as a professional, and the faith that the coaching staff here at the Rapids has shown in me this season. I'm looking forward to the future here in Colorado."
"The success Chris has been able to achieve during his time in Colorado doesn't surprise me one bit," said Eric Wynalda, Atlanta Silverbacks Technical Director. "He's extremely talented and has an enormous future, and I think we should all get used to hearing the name Chris Klute. This is only the beginning for him."
Klute originally joined the Rapids on September 14, 2012 on a one-year loan from the Atlanta Silverbacks of the North American Soccer League (NASL), making his MLS debut in Colorado's final regular season game of 2012, playing 90 minutes in a 2-0 win over the Houston Dynamo. This season, Klute came on as first half substitute in the March 23 match against LA Galaxy due to an injury to Diego Calderón, and has started every match since. In his 17 matches (16 starts), Klute has notched five assists, one ahead of rookie Deshorn Brown for the team lead.
A native of Grand Prairie, Texas, Klute played 12 matches with the Silverbacks in 2012 before joining Colorado. He played college soccer at Furman University and Clayton State University, and was a member of the Dallas Texans youth soccer club. Klute also made seven appearances for the United States Under-17 National Team, including one at the 2007 FIFA U-17 World Cup in South Korea.
The Rapids travel to Albuquerque, New Mexico to take on Santos Laguna of Mexico in an international friendly on Friday night, with tickets available by clicking here. Colorado returns to Dick's Sporting Goods Park next Wednesday, July 17 when it hosts the New England Revolution; for more information, or to purchase tickets, call 303-825-GOAL or visit www.ColoradoRapids.com.
Name: Christopher Klute
Birthdate: March 5, 1990
Hometown: Grand Prairie, Texas
Weight: 172 lbs Last team: Atlanta Silverbacks (NASL)
Transaction: Acquired by the Rapids on July 7, 2013 on a transfer from the Atlanta Silverbacks, having previously been on loan.
Major League Soccer Stories from July 11, 2013
- Chivas USA Look to Record Firsts vs. Union - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Sounders FC Adds Andrew Weber on Loan from Phoenix FC - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy Prepared to Take on the High-Octane Portland - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Crew Reserves Win, But Are Left in Dark - Columbus Crew
- League-Best Defense Boosted by Burgeoning Goncalves-McCarthy Partnership - New England Revolution
- MSG to Broadcast Red Bulls Friendly Versus Olympique Lyonnais - New York Red Bulls
- Chivas USA Homegrown Product Caleb Calvert Named U-15/16 National Player of the Year - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Former Buckeyes to take field in international friendly - Columbus Crew
- Crew News and Notes - July 11, 2013 - Columbus Crew
- Wigan Athletic Announces Roster for International Friendly at Crew Stadium - Columbus Crew
- Rapids Complete Transfer for Defender Chris Klute from Atlanta - Colorado Rapids
- Red Bulls Sign Defender Ibrahim Sekagya - New York Red Bulls
- Marco Di Vaio Named AT&T MLS All-Star In the Game' Forward - MLS
- Impact Forward Di Vaio Wins AT&T MLS All-Star 'In the Game' Challenge - Montreal Impact
- Sporting KC loans C.J. Sapong and Kevin Ellis to USL PRO affiliate Orlando City Soccer Club - Sporting Kansas City
- D.C. United Defender/Midfielder Alain Rochat Transferred to Swiss Side BSC Young Boys - D.C. United
- Chicago Fire Fall 3-2 to Liga MX Champions Club AmÃÂ©rica in International Friendly - Chicago Fire
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.