Express Collapses Late in 7-0 LossJuly 10, 2013 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) - Round Rock Express
Right-hander Scott Richmond made just one mistake throughout his evening on the mound, but the RedHawks made it count. After Richmond issued a two-out walk to third baseman Brandon Laird in the third, center fielder George Springer stepped to the plate and blasted his third home run of the series and seventh Triple-A homer of the season. The blast gave Oklahoma City a two-run advantage that would last for five more innings.
The long ball would prove to be the only offense for either team on the night as the RedHawks would add a two more home runs in the ninth inning to pad their lead and put the game out of reach.
Richmond worked efficiently following the homer, giving up just two more hits before finishing after seven innings of work. He allowed the two runs on three hits in his fourth quality start of the season but was plagued by a lack of offense.
Oklahoma City starter Brad Peacock was stifling, holding the Express lineup to just two singles over six innings before turning the game over to the bullpen. The Express worked four base runners off the RedHawk pitching staff but were unable to deliver the big hit, going 0-for-2 with runners in scoring position while leaving three on base.
The RedHawks put five insurance runs on the board in the ninth when left fielder Robbie Grossman slammed a three-run shot off Express reliever Justin Miller before Laird launched a two-run blast two batters later, giving Oklahoma City a seven-run lead.
After Round Rock went quietly in the ninth, the RedHawks completed the second shutout of the Express through the three-game series at Dell Diamond, sandwiching an 11-run outburst by the E-Train offense Tuesday night. Richmond suffered his third loss of the season, dropping to 2-3 despite his quality outing.
The Express hits the road for a four-game series in Omaha starting Thursday night at 7:05 p.m. Right-hander Alexi Ogando (0-0, 13.50 ERA) is scheduled to take the mound for the Express for his second rehab start while Omaha will counter with southpaw Everett Teaford (3-2, 2.88 ERA). For more information on the Express, visit www.RoundRockExpress.com or call (512) 255-2255. Keep up with the Express on Facebook and Twitter!
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 10, 2013
- Zephyrs Hold off Iowa to Claim Series - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Redbirds Drop Homestand Finale to Omaha, 8-3 - Memphis Redbirds
- Veterans Play Key Role in Omaha's Win - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Express Collapses Late in 7-0 Loss - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Halt Express in 7-0 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- River Cats Fall to Sky Sox, 8-3 - Sacramento River Cats
- Sky Sox Win Series With 8-3 Victory Over River Cats - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Isotopes Activate Magill - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Express INF Greg Miclat Transferred to Frisco - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks vs. Express - Game Notes - July 10, 2013 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Aces to Hold Women's Baseball 101 - Reno Aces
- Padres Offense Awakens - Tucson Padres
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.