Back-To-Back Jacks Crush CrawdadsJuly 5, 2013 - South Atlantic League (SAL) - Kannapolis Intimidators
The consecutive home runs were the first for the Intimidators this season. Barnum fell behind in the count 0-2 before launching a high-arching shot over the right field wall off Hickory reliever Jose Monegro, his first home run of the season. Tanner also sent his long ball to right field.
Brad Goldberg (1-0) earning the win for Kannapolis, working 2 1/3 hitless innings while allowing just one base runner, waling Ronald Guzman in the eighth inning. Monegro (0-1) took the loss for Hickory.
The Intimidators and Crawdads picked up the game tied, 2-2, with two outs in the bottom of the seventh inning and Hickory's Luis Marte batting with David Lyons on second base.
Kannapolis plated two runs in the second inning for an early 2-0 lead. Eric Grabe legged out an infield single, and Nick Basto followed with a base hit. Two batters later, third round pick Jacob May collected his first RBI at Class A, driving in Grabe with a single. Tim Anderson, the Sox top pick in this year's draft, singled to cash Basto.
The Crawdads plated their first run in the bottom of the fourth inning without the benefit of a hit. Nick Vickerson walked, stole second base, moved to third on a groundout and scored on a passed ball, cutting the Intimidators lead in half, 2-1.
Jefferson Olacio took a no-hitter into the seventh inning before Hickory's Lewis Brinson broke up the gem with a two-out single. Brinson then scored the tying run on a David Lyons base hit to right field before the game went into a rain delay.
Olacio worked 6 2/3 innings before rain cut short his outing. He allowed two runs on two hits while walking three and striking out five in a no decision.
The Intimidators and Crawdads will play tonight's regularly-scheduled game starting at approximately 8:00 p.m. RHP Euclides Leyer (2-10, 4.91) makes his league-leading 17th start for Kannapolis while Hickory sends RHP C.J. Edwards (6-2, 2.01) and the league's second-best ERA to the mound. The game is scheduled to be a 9-inning contest. The Intimidators return to CMC-NorthEast Stadium on Tuesday, July 9, to open a seven-game home stand against West Virginia and Greensboro.. For ticket and promotional information, fans can call the F&M Bank Box Office at (704) 932-3267 or visit intimidatorsbaseball.com.
South Atlantic League Stories from July 5, 2013
- 'Dads and Intimidators Split - Hickory Crawdads
- Shorebirds Win 4-3 on Bernadina Single in Extras - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Legends Win 4-2 for Fifth Straight - Lexington Legends
- Drive Take Down Sand Gnats, 8-4 - Greenville Drive
- Crawdads Cruise After 8-Run First - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Charleston Blanks GreenJackets - Charleston RiverDogs
- Power Stumbles Continue - West Virginia Power
- Back-To-Back Jacks Crush Crawdads - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Barber Comes Through in Clutch Again - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Power vs. Legends - Game Notes - July 5, 2013 - West Virginia Power
- Intimidators vs. Crawdads - Game Notes - July 5, 2013 - Kannapolis Intimidators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.