RailCats Whitewash Explorers to Gain SplitJuly 3, 2013 - American Association (AA) - Gary SouthShore Railcats
In game one, the Explorers scored a pair in the bottom of the second on RBI singles by Alberto Espinosa and Eliezer Mesa to take the lead 2-0 after two innings.
The RailCats rallied to tie the game in the top of the fifth inning. Danny Pulfer walked with one out then scored on Adam Klein's double down the left-field line. Cristian Guerrero followed with a double to dead-center field to plate Klein and tie the game at two.
Sioux City wasted no time taking the lead back in the bottom of the fifth. With one out, Eliezer Mesa singled and Leugim Barroso followed with a two-run home run down the left-field line to take the lead 4-2. It was Barroso's first home run as a pro.
Chris Bodishbaugh came on in the seventh and closed the door for Sioux City, allowing a walk while earning his tenth save of the season.
Morgan Coombs took his first loss of the season allowing four runs on seven hits and struck out one.
Andy Noga picked up his first victory since May 18 against Sioux Falls with a six inning effort. He allowed two runs on four hits and two walks, striking out three.
In game two, the RailCats struck first; loading the bases with one out. Dan Jurik's first delivery after a mound visit went wild allowing Craig Maddox to score. Zac Mitchell then popped out to the third baseman and Chase Tucker struck out to leave two runners in scoring position. The RailCats lead 1-0 after the top of the second.
The RailCats added another on Cristian Guerrero's RBI single through the middle in the top of the third to make it 2-0.
Alain Quijano shut down the Sioux City offense through the first five innings. The Explorers threatened in the fourth with runners on first and second and two out, but Quijano got Yusuke Inoguchi to fly out to center to end the inning.
In the top of the sixth the RailCats added a pair of insurance runs. The "ÂCats started the inning with three straight hits, the third of which by Christian Vitters, to score a run. Then with two outs in the inning, Drew Martinez rolled a base hit through the left side of the infield to end the night for Explorers starter Dan Jurik; trailing 4-0.
Jurik went 5 and Ã¢..." innings allowing eight hits, two walks and struck out eight. He took his sixth loss of the season.
However, the story of the game was the dominance of the left-hander Alain Quijano who allowed just five hits on his way to his fourth career shutout.
Alain picked up his seventh win of the season and jumped into the league lead in innings pitched with 74 and Ã¢...". It was the second shutout of the season recorded by the RailCats, Morgan Coombs fired one on Wednesday night against Kansas City.
The RailCats and Explorers continue their four-game series on Thursday. RHP Will Krout (1-4, 5.68 ERA) will start for the RailCats and Sioux City will counter with RHP Jason Jarvis (5-3, 2.64 ERA). The radio broadcast will begin at 7:00 on 89.1 FM The Lakeshore.
American Association Stories from July 3, 2013
- Mortensen Dominates in AirHogs Victory Over Wingnuts - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Explorers Split Doubleheader With Gary - Sioux City Explorers
- Fish Turn Tables on the Saints - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Wingnuts Blanked in Grand Prairie - Wichita Wingnuts
- RailCats Whitewash Explorers to Gain Split - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Saints Get Great Starting Pitching, But Can't Finish It off Losing on a Walk-Off 3-2 - St. Paul Saints
- Stanton Shuts Down Saltdogs to Win Duel - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Saints Independence Day Celebration, Presented by Snapple and Cub Foods on July 6, Will Honor Disabl - St. Paul Saints
- Wichita Wingnuts Game Notes - July 3rd, 2013 - Wichita Wingnuts
- Amarillo Postponed Tonight, Doubleheader Set For Tomorrow - Amarillo ThunderHeads
- Torbert to Be Inducted Into Canaries Hall of Fame - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Zavada Signed by Padres - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Williamson Solid to Start July - Laredo Lemurs
- Victory Slips Away in Extra Innings - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Late inning runs cost Diablos a win - El Paso Diablos
- American Association Game Recap - AA
- Saints Breathe a Sigh of Relief as They Work Extras for 9-8 Win - St. Paul Saints
- RedHawks Pull Away Late to Take Opener - Lincoln Saltdogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.