Mallards Set to Play for First Half Championship TonightJuly 3, 2013 - Northwoods League (Northwoods) Madison Mallards
Michael Katz (William & Mary) kept the Loggers alive last night by doubling off the left field fence for an RBI double in the bottom of the ninth off of Mallards reliever Hunter May (UNC-Charlotte) to win 6-5 in an otherwise back-and-forth contest.
Mallards left fielder Joe McCarthy (Virginia) reached second base in the ninth with the score tied at five off of a botched double play attempt by the Loggers, but Bre' Kimbell (Louisiana Tech) struck out to end the inning.
Jonathan Van Eaton received the win by pitching scoreless innings in the eighth and ninth while May was tagged with the loss and drops to 0-2 on the year.
The ball will be in Jordan Tabakman's (UConn) hands tonight for the Mallards. The 6'4," 210-pound native of Pompton Plains, New Jersey is 1-0 with a 2.51 ERA in 14.1 innings of work. He has received a no-decision in his last two starts. On June 27th against the Wisconsin Woodchucks, he allowed one earned run on five hits in 4.2 innings and allowed three earned runs on four hits in 4.2 innings against Green Bay on June 16th.
The Mallards lineup will have its hands full against Collin Monsour (California) tonight. The 6'3," 180-pounder is 3-1 with a 2.11 ERA but did get roughed up in his last start on June 27th against Lakeshore. He allowed five earned runs on 10 hits in five innings and walked two in the Loggers 10-5 loss. He lasted eight innings and allowed two earned runs or less in his two starts prior to that.
Mallards third baseman John LaPrise (Virginia) continued his torrid hitting spree by turning in a 5-for-5 with two runs performance last night against the Loggers. It was his third game in his last five where he has collected at least four hits. He has also boosted his batting average up to .458 on the season through 16 games.
Tonight is the West Bend Home Talent Classic featuring Paul Molitor at the "Duck Pond." The Rhythm and Booms Fireworks show will also take place after the game. The American Cancer Society Community Connection Night is also tonight.
The Mallards will kick off the second half of the season tomorrow at Eau Claire. First pitch is slated for 6:05 pm
Northwoods League Stories from July 3, 2013
- Mallards Win 12-2, Capture First Half Championship - Madison Mallards
- Slaid and Montalbano Lead Way as Rafters Slug Their Way to 12-2 Thumping Of Green Bay - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Campbell's Walk-Off Grand Slam Lifts Honkers over Rox - Rochester Honkers
- Goodson Lifts Bombers to Victory in First Half Finale - Battle Creek Bombers
- GoodsonÃ¢ÂÂs two home runs enough for Bombers to defeat Woodchucks 3-2 - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Mallards Set to Play for First Half Championship Tonight - Madison Mallards
- Chinooks Announce Upcoming Promotions - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Blue Anchors Top Thunder Bay 9-7 - Alexandria Blue Anchors
- Stingers Miss Berth with Split at Duluth - Willmar Stingers
- Bucks Clinch Playoff Berth - Waterloo Bucks
- Border Cats Topped by Blue Anchors - Thunder Bay Border Cats
- Loggers Walk off on Mallards - La Crosse Loggers
- Rox Kick Start Road Stint with Win over Rochester, 9-6 - St. Cloud Rox
- MoonDogs Late Comeback Falls Short, Bucks Clinch North Title - Mankato MoonDogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.