Mets Sign Cody SatterwhiteJuly 2, 2013 - American Association (AA) Sioux City Explorers
Satterwhite, 26, signed with the Sioux City Explorers on April 23, 2013, after being sidelined with an arm injury for the 2012 season. In 19 games with the X's, Satterwhite posted a 2-1 record with one save, while boasting a 0.65 earned run average. He allowed only two earned runs in 27.2 innings pitched, striking out 31 batters while allowing only seven free passes.
The Jackson, MS native was a 2nd round draft pick by the Detroit Tigers in the 2008 MLB Draft out of the University of Mississippi. He spent three seasons in the Tigers organization before suffering the arm injury. His best year came in 2009 when he spent the season with the Tigers double-A affiliate, the Erie Seawolves. That year he posted a 3.47 earned run average, allowing 19 earned runs in 29.1 innings pitched, while striking out 52 batters and collecting 12 saves. In his three seasons of professional baseball, the 6'4" right-hander has accumulated a 3.60 earned run average over 62 appearances, while striking out 86 batters in 80 innings pitched.
"The X's are proud to promote Cody to a Major League organization," said X's Field Manager, Stan Cliburn. "He has worked hard the last couple of months in Sioux City to make his way back into affiliated ball. This is the first step in reaching his dreams of becoming a Major League player."
In other news, the X's have signed RHP Ryan Wilkins out of North Carolina State University and INF Gibby Briones and both will be in uniform tonight. Wilkins pitched for the Wolfpack in 2013, which made it to the College World Series. He went 6-2 with a 4.21 earned run average in 24 games. The X's have also traded INF Brian Bistagne to Rockford of the Frontier League for a player to be named later.
American Association Stories from July 2, 2013
- Pahuta Strikes Again in Birds' Win - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Kansas City Drops Opener to Sioux Falls - Kansas City T-Bones
- Sox home win streak ends at eleven - Amarillo Sox
- Wingnuts Fall Short in Grand Prairie - Wichita Wingnuts
- RailCats and Explorers Rained Out - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Former Lemur Roe Makes MLB Debut - Laredo Lemurs
- T-Bones Sign Connor Graham; Meade to DL - Kansas City T-Bones
- Wichita Wingnuts Game Notes - July 2nd, 2013 - Wichita Wingnuts
- Diamondbacks Buy Contract of Amarillo OF Peralta - Amarillo Sox
- Diablos Announce Upcoming Promotions - El Paso Diablos
- Saints to Host Faith and Family Night - St. Paul Saints
- Goldeyes Announce Upcoming Promotions - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Mets Sign Cody Satterwhite - Sioux City Explorers
- T-Bones Sign Veteran OF Joey Gathright - Kansas City T-Bones
- OF Ray Sadler Acquired From T-Bones - Winnipeg Goldeyes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.