Spinners Wilt in Heat, Lose 13-4June 30, 2013 - New York-Penn League (NYPL) - Lowell Spinners Press Release
After scoring two runs in the first two games of the series, Vermont (5-8) jumped on Alcantara early and often. With two outs in the inning, Jaycob Brugman singled, Wil Solano and Luis Baez doubled and the Lake Monsters were out to a 4-0 lead.
They would extend the lead in the second on a sacrifice fly by Chad Pinder and a throwing error by Manuel Margot on a wild throw attempting to make a play on the runner at third, putting Vermont ahead, 6-0.
The Lake Monsters added three additional runs in the fourth inning, scoring three runs, two earned, on a pair of Spinner errors and four hits pushing the lead to nine.
Lowell (6-6) could do little against Lake Monster starter Kyle Finnegan, but did break through for a run in the fourth inning. Nick Moore worked a two out walk, advancing to second on a single by Reed Gragnani. Moore would come around to score on an RBI double down the third base line to put the Spinners on the board.
The Spinners would inch just a bit closer with another run in the sixth inning. Kevin Mager worked a one-out walk, scoring on an RBI double by Moore.
Vermont however would score two runs in the seventh against Dylan Chavez and tack on two additional runs in the ninth against Mager, throwing a knuckleball, in the ninth.
Lowell would get to Fernand Cruzado for two runs in the ninth inning as Tzu-Wei Lin and Margot each picked up RBI for a 13-4 final.
Gragnani led the Spinners with two hits, while every member of the line-up with the exception of Miguel Rodriguez and Mager picked up a hit.
After consecutive scoreless outings, Alcantara struggled Sunday allowing nine runs, seven earned, on nine hits and a walk. Chavez followed with three innings of relief, allowing two runs, one earned, on five hits, striking out two. Jack McGeary pitched a scoreless eighth inning before Mager finished with one inning, allowing two runs on three hits, striking out one.
The Spinners look to get back on track as the homestand continues Monday night as they welcome the Connecticut Tigers to LeLacheur Park. It's Jenny Dell Bobble Head Giveaway for the first 1,000 fans and tickets remain available at www.lowellspinners.com.
New York-Penn League Stories from June 30, 2013
- IronBirds Fall in Series Finale - Aberdeen IronBirds
- ValleyCats Defeat CT Tigers - Connecticut Tigers
- Cutters Win on Walk-Off Single by Martinez - Williamsport Crosscutters
- Scrappers Fall on Walk off in Williamsport - Mahoning Valley Scrappers
- 'Gades End June with Extra-Inning Victory - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Spikes Erupt in Ninth to Top Muckdogs, 7-2 - State College Spikes
- Vermont Doubles Its Way To 13-4 Victory At Lowell On Sunday - Vermont Lake Monsters
- Spinners Wilt in Heat, Lose 13-4 - Lowell Spinners
- Game Notes: Staten Island vs. Aberdeen - Aberdeen IronBirds
- State College Spikes Game Notes - June 30 at Batavia - State College Spikes
- Renegades Force Sunday Rubber Game with Cyclones - Hudson Valley Renegades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.