Hillcats Drop Homestand FinaleJune 27, 2013 - Carolina League (CarL) - Lynchburg Hillcats Press Release
The Hillcats (2-5, 38-38) went 0-for-9 with runners in scoring position in the game, stranding nine runners including a bases loaded, no out situation in the bottom of the first. Their lone run came on a sacrifice fly by Elmer Reyes in the bottom of the ninth to score David Rohm.
Jarett Miller struck out the side in order in the first and threw four scoreless innings before the Blue Rocks (4-3, 37-40) got to him for three runs in the fifth. After Miller got the first out, Tyler Chism tripled and was followed up by back-to-back singles from Ethan Chapman and Jack Lopez drove in the run.
The two pulled off a double steal as Miller struck out Alex McClure for the second out of the inning, which set up Lane Adams for a two-run infield single. A slow-rolling grounder back up the middle kicked off Elmer Reyes' glove and the Blue Rocks took advantage.
Another seeing-eye single, this time off the bat of Jared Schlehuber, drove in another run off Miller in the sixth, which led to the end of his evening. Miller (5-5) gave up four runs on eight hits through 5.2 innings. He left with two runners in scoring position, who Matt Chaffee stranded with a strikeout of Chapman.
Sam Selman (7-5) was effectively wild in his start for the Blue Rocks. He allowed just two hits but walked three and plunked two batters in five scoreless innings of work.
Rohm led off the ninth inning with a groundball to shortstop that was bobbled, allowing him to reach. Shawn McGill followed with a double down the left field line to put two in scoring position. Will Skinner struck out then Reyes sailed a fly ball down the right field line that was caught in foul territory by Chism as he crashed into the railing down the foul line, allowing Rohm to waltz home. Matt Lipka laced a ball into right-center but was robbed on a diving catch by Adams to end the game.
The Hillcats head on the road for a weekend series in Myrtle Beach, SC against the Pelicans. Blaine Sims (0-3, 7.07) takes the mound for Lynchburg against Luke Jackson (7-4, 2.56) for the Pelicans. First pitch is set for 7:05pm and you can join Erik Wilson for all the play-by-play starting with the Hillcats On-Deck Show, powered by Honda/Suzuki of Lynchburg on 97.9 FM The Planet and lynchburg-hillcats.com
Carolina League Stories from June 27, 2013
- Selman Sizzles, Rocks Capture First Second-Half Series - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Mudcats Tumble in Series Split with Keys - Carolina Mudcats
- Ravelo, Smith Drive in Four Each in Dash Rout - Winston-Salem Dash
- Keys Starter Does Not Allow Earned Run in Keys 4-3 Win at Carolina - Frederick Keys
- Winston-Salem Scores Four in the Fifth, Late Salem Rally For Naught - Winston-Salem Dash
- Hillcats Drop Homestand Finale - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Pelicans and P-Nats Suspended in the Third Inning - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Salem Red Sox Game Notes - Salem Red Sox
- Pelicans vs. P-Nats - Game Notes - June 27, 2013 - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Dash vs. Salem Sox - Game Notes - June 27, 2013 - Winston-Salem Dash
- Hillcats vs. Blue Rocks - Game Notes - June 27, 2013 - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Vote Hawkins for Final Futures Game Spot - Winston-Salem Dash
- Help Send Pelicans 2B Rougned Odor to the Futures Game - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.