Toronto FC Announces Friendly with AS RomaJune 26, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - Toronto FC Press Release
"It's always exciting to play a match against a club as storied as AS Roma," said Toronto FC President and General Manager Kevin Payne. "With great players like Totti and De Rossi, this will be a real test for our players and a treat for our supporters and the Italian community in Toronto."
Founded in 1927, Roma is regarded as one of Italy's most storied clubs having won three Italian Serie A titles, nine Coppa Italia titles and two Supercoppa Italiana titles. This past season, Roma advanced to the final of Coppa Italia and finished sixth in Serie A. The club is led by recently appointed manager Rudi Garcia and a roster featuring Captain Francesco Totti, Italian international Daniele De Rossi and Argentine international Erik Lamela.
"We are excited to play against Toronto FC. Over the past seven years they have built a solid franchise with a very dedicated fan base. We look forward to a great match and an electric atmosphere at BMO Field," said AS Roma Chief Executive Officer, Italo Zanzi. "Playing in Toronto is a great opportunity for us. The city has deep Italian roots and many AS Roma supporters. We are confident this will be a fantastic visit and a platform for future activities in the city and other parts of Canada."
A special pre-sale will be available to Toronto FC Insider members on Tuesday, July 9. To gain access to purchase tickets, a person must be a member of the Toronto FC Insider list. Fans can sign up and receive the necessary information by visiting www.torontofc.ca. Tickets will go on sale to the general public on Wednesday, July 10. Prior to the match, a special VIP reception will take place featuring both clubs on Monday, August 5. Roma will hold a closed training session at the KIA Training Ground while in Toronto, followed by a public practice on Tuesday, August 6 at BMO Field. Please go to www.torontofc.ca for more information and to purchase tickets.
Major League Soccer Stories from June 26, 2013
- D.C. United to Face the Chicago Fire in Semifinals of 2013 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup - D.C. United
- A New Challenge for Marco Fabián - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- LA Galaxy U-18's Fall to Dallas Texans - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club, Pepsico and Section 8 Chicago to Participate in World-Famous Parade - Chicago Fire
- Sporting KC Weekly Update - Sporting Kansas City
- Rapids Open Sideline Seating, Bleachers and Suite Tickets for July 4 Match - Colorado Rapids
- Whitecaps FC Waive D Adam Clement - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Sánchez's Suspension Brings Competition in Crew Midfield - Columbus Crew SC
- MLSSoccer.com Q&A: Robert Warzycha - Columbus Crew SC
- Toronto FC Announces Friendly with AS Roma - Toronto FC
- Dynamo Waive Midfielder Luiz Camargo - Houston Dynamo
- It's No Fantasy: Jose Goncalves among MLS' top defenders with ASG approaching - New England Revolution
- Sounders FC to Employ Handheld Metal Detectors at All Home Matches - Seattle Sounders FC
- Crew Set to Face Sporting KC - Columbus Crew SC
- D.C. United, Rafael Mutually Agree to Part Ways - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.