Loggers win over WoodchucksJune 23, 2013 - Northwoods League (Northwoods) - La Crosse Loggers
The Woodchucks got things going in the top of the first inning for the second consecutive night. Steve Hagen (Wooster College) walked leadoff hitter Tyler Stieb to begin the game. Back-to-back singles by Matt Tellor and John Clay Reeves loaded the bases with just one out.
Hagen dug deep and struck out the next Woodchucks batter. Rob Bennie then drove in Stieb with a single of his own and an error brought around Tellor to push Wisconsin's lead to 2-0.
La Crosse also loaded the bases in the bottom of the first. Singles by Johnny Bekakis (Long Beach State) and Nick Day (Iowa) as well as a walk to Kevin Zak (Grand Valley State) set the stage for Zack Rivera.
Rivera drove a 3-1 pitch far out of the stadium, but he was slightly early and it ended up as just a long strike. The freshman then grounded into an RBI fielder's choice to cut the lead to one run.
The Loggers struck again in the bottom of the second. Three consecutive singles by Connor Teykl (Rice), Bobby Juan (Minnesota) and Austin Rei (Washington) loaded the bases without an out recorded. A balk by Woodchucks starting pitcher Adam Kramer scored Teykl and tied the game.
Bekakis then notched his second single of the game, driving in both Juan and Rei. After a walk to day, Rivera drove in Bekakis with a single and an error by Wisconsin brought home Day.
A 6-2 lead would be all Hagen would need. The junior right-hander scattered five hits and one walk while striking out three. He gave up three earned runs in five innings en route to his third victory of the summer.
Juan finished the night 2-2 with a run scored. Center fielder Bekakis collected two hits, two runs and two runs batted in.
The rubber-match of the series will take place Sunday evening at Copeland Park. The gates will open at 4:00 with the first pitch being slated for 5:05pm.
Northwoods League Stories from June 23, 2013
- Chinooks Pull out Another Late Inning Thriller - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Rafters Score Early, Hang on to Top Eau Claire, 6-5 - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Pitching Leads MoonDogs to Series Win over Stingers - Mankato MoonDogs
- Cats Lose Heartbreaker - Thunder Bay Border Cats
- Bullfrog Pitching Cools Bombers Bats - Battle Creek Bombers
- Loggers Bop Woodchucks 5-1 - La Crosse Loggers
- Bullfrogs Defeat Bombers, Secure Series Win - Green Bay Bullfrogs
- Loggers Use Pitching, Long Ball to Defeat 'Chucks - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Mallards Fall to Three Back After 5-4 Loss in 11 Innings - Madison Mallards
- Huskies Use Big 12th Inning to End Honkers Streak - Rochester Honkers
- Mallards Hope to Pull Within One Game of Chinooks - Madison Mallards
- Blue Anchors Fall to Rox 9-3 - Alexandria Blue Anchors
- Mallards Game against Lakeshore Suspended After 16 Innings - Madison Mallards
- Honkers Offense Explodes in Shortened Game - Rochester Honkers
- Bomber Rally Falls Short in 9th, Bested by Green Bay 4-3 - Battle Creek Bombers
- Chinooks and Mallards Tied 3-3 After 16 Innings: Play Is Suspended - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Border Cats lose to Bucks - Thunder Bay Border Cats
- Loggers win over Woodchucks - La Crosse Loggers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.