Rapids Acquire Draft Pick, International Spot in Trade With Galaxy for Pablo MastroeniJune 17, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - Colorado Rapids
"While it is sad to see Pablo leave the Rapids, we are grateful for everything he gave to the club and our fans," said Rapids President Tim Hinchey. "For all his achievements, including leading the team to the 2010 MLS Cup, he is and forever will be a Colorado Rapids legend. We look forward to seeing his name and number in our Gallery of Honor someday soon."
"It will be difficult to leave the Rapids after growing so close to the club and the fans in Colorado," said Mastroeni. "I want to thank all the teammates, coaches, and staff I worked with over the years, as well as Stan Kroenke for the chance to play at such a beautiful stadium like Dick's Sporting Goods Park. My sincere gratitude goes especially to all the fans, who have given so much to me and the team. Though I am excited for a new challenge, Colorado and the Rapids will always hold a special place in my heart."
The Rapids have now acquired the Galaxy's natural second round 2014 MLS SuperDraft pick, giving Colorado one selection in that round after the club traded its natural pick to the Vancouver Whitecaps prior to the 2013 season. Colorado still holds its first round pick in the 2014 SuperDraft, and also acquired a later-round pick from the Houston Dynamo for Macoumba Kandji before the 2012 season. The international roster slot, good through the 2014 season, now gives the Rapids nine international spots on the roster, of which seven are occupied. Diego Calderón would require an international slot when removed from the Disabled List. The trade also adds roster flexibility for the Rapids, freeing space against the salary cap.
Mastroeni, 36, holds Rapids franchise records in both games (225) and minutes played (18,669), and was named Rapids MVP in 2007, 2008 and 2010, when he captained the side to the MLS Cup. In his MLS career, he has played 325 games (313 starts), scoring seven goals and adding 26 assists, being named an All-Star six times, and to the MLS Best XI in 2001. The midfielder also made 65 appearances with the United States National Team from 2001 to 2009, and played at the World Cup in 2002 and 2006. Mastroeni made 50 of his U.S. appearances under current LA Galaxy head coach Bruce Arena, who helmed the National Team from 1998-2006.
Colorado now takes to the road for three straight matches, facing the Chicago Fire on June 19 on Altitude, the Portland Timbers on June 23 on NBC Sports, and the Montreal Impact on June 29 on Altitude. The Rapids return home for the July 4 match against the New York Red Bulls, followed by a July 7 game against D.C. United, with fireworks following both games. For more information, or to purchase tickets, visit www.ColoradoRapids.com or call 303-825-GOAL.
Major League Soccer Stories from June 17, 2013
- LA Galaxy Hope Pablo Mastroeni Can Provide Leadership and Quality to New Team - Los Angeles Galaxy
- LA Galaxy Looking to Snap Losing Streak Wednesday against Portland Timbers - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Earthquakes Weekly Update - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sounders FC News & Notes - Seattle Sounders FC
- Chivas USA Academy Teams' Opponents Revealed - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Chivas USA Defender Steven Purdy Called up by El Salvador's National Team - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- USMNT Ready for Honduras in FIFA World Cup Qualifier on Tuesday - Real Salt Lake
- MLS News and Notes - MLS
- Chicago Fire Preview - Chicago Fire
- Vancouver Whitecaps FC Forward Kenny Miller Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Whitecaps FC Forward Kenny Miller Voted MLS Player of the Week - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- MLS Eastern Conference Roundup - MLS
- Keon Daniel Called Up to Trinidad & Tobago National Team - Philadelphia Union
- LA Galaxy Acquire Veteran Midfielder Pablo Mastroeni - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Earthquakes Announce Strategic and Medical Partnership with Stanford Hospital & Clinics - San Jose Earthquakes
- Rapids Acquire Draft Pick, International Spot in Trade With Galaxy for Pablo Mastroeni - Colorado Rapids
- Crew Early Goal Sets Tone in Win Over Montreal Impact - Columbus Crew SC
- U.S. Soccer Fan Activities Monday in Salt Lake City - Real Salt Lake
- LA Galaxy Trio Continue Their Return to Fitness with Reserve League Shifts - Los Angeles Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.