Chivas USA Fall 1-0 to Chivas Guadalajara in FriendlyJune 16, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) Club Deportivo Chivas USA
Chivas USA possessed well throughout the first half as forward Tristan Bowen was able to get into range early in the match on the right wing. Bowen got off a pair of strikes from inside the box by the seventh minute, but was denied both times by Guadalajara goalkeeper Luis Michel.
Guadalajara responded by getting their players into the attacking third as well and into the Red-and-White's box, but could not get a clean look at the back of the net, as Chivas USA's defense was stout with Patrick McLain in goal. Midfielder Jose Manuel Rivera found himself unmarked momentarily in the 20th minute about five yards behind the arc with ample space and let off a right-footed strike that was on frame, but Michel was solid for the Mexican side and kept the game locked at zero.
In the 33rd minute the Goats again looked to knock on the goal's door, as Rivera played a free kick from the left seam about 25 yards out into the box, but Michel punched out of the mixer. Midfielder Carlos Alvarez gathered the loose ball and dropped it off to Jorge VillafaÃÂ±a on his left inside the arc, but his left-footed attempt traveled wide right of the post.
Minutes into the second half, Guadalajara began to get into dangerous spots deep inside Chivas USA territory, as Torres came on as a sub to start the complementary half. "El Cubo" got off his first attempt inside the box in the 55th minute with a chip shot that sailed wide of the post. In the 66th minute, Torres brought down a pass over the top near the penalty spot and was left in a one-on-one with center back JoaquÃ-n VelÃÂ¡zquez. Torres crossed the ball back over to his left side and got off a shot that bounced off the left post.
Guadalajara continued to get into the box by playing their passes over the top of Chivas USA's defense and broke the scoreless tie in the 73rd minute when forward Marco FabiÃÂ¡n played a ball to ÃÂvila on the right side of the box. The midfielder then crossed it to Torres for the tap-in past McLain's right for the 1-0 advantage.
The Red-and-White looked to equalize as Rivera got off a strike near the arc in the 83rd minute, but substitute goalkeeper Antonio RodrÃ-guez smothered the shot. As regulation time neared to an end, Chivas USA nearly drove in the equalizer, as academy product Marco Delgado pushed the ball up the right wing and let off a strike by the right edge of the box that crashed off the far post, securing the 1-0 result for Guadalajara.
Major League Soccer Stories from June 16, 2013
- Chivas USA Fall 1-0 to Chivas Guadalajara in Friendly - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Inability to Convert Chances Costs Crew in Reserve League Tilt - Columbus Crew SC
- MLS Reserve League Match 7: Crew Falls to Montreal 1-0 - Columbus Crew SC
- Heaps: "It Would be a Mistake for Us not to Learn from this Game" - New England Revolution
- LA Galaxy Squad of 1996 Serves as the Inspiration for New Third Kit - Los Angeles Galaxy
- LA Galaxy Play to 1-1 Reserve League Draw with the L.A. Blues - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Whitecaps FC defeat Revolution - New England Revolution
- Kenny Miller scores a pair in Whitecaps FC win - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- TIMBERS U-23s RALLY FOR 2-2 COMEBACK DRAW AT KITSAP - Portland Timbers
- San Jose Earthquakes Pick up Road Win against Colorado Rapids, 2-1 - San Jose Earthquakes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.