Chicago Fire Announce Strategic Merger with FC DriveJune 14, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - Chicago Fire Press Release
"Historically, we haven't had a youth club within the city limits so the creation of the Chicago Fire Juniors City helps us build a stronger presence here at home," said Chicago Fire Vice President of Soccer Operations Guillermo Petrei. "This partnership with FC Drive allows us to tap into the wealth of young soccer players in Chicago, giving them access to an established player development infrastructure, providing them with opportunities to join our Academy and first team similar to the Juniors programs across the nation."
Supplemental tryouts for boys and girls in the U-8 to U-18 ages groups will take place at Montrose West Synthetic Field (601 W. Montrose Ave.) on Tuesday, June 18 from 4:30 - 6:30 p.m. CT.
Founded as a not-for-profit organization to teach a higher level of play and to inspire competitive excellence in youth soccer players, FC Drive began play in September 2007 under the direction of current Fire head coach Frank Klopas. Now in its eighth season, FC Drive has more than 400 players on 32 teams.
Additional information on CFJ City can be found at www.chicagofirejuniorscity.com, on Facebook, Twitter @FireJrsCity or by emailing email@example.com.
The Chicago Fire Juniors program was formed to train local area youth in a professionally run environment and has since expanded to include branches in Illinois, Florida, Indiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Louisiana and Kentucky. Through the Juniors program, players ranging from eight-years-old to 18-years old receive professionally developed curriculum to help build skill and knowledge of the game. The Juniors program has seen direct results, including the signing of CFJ-Mississippi product Kellen Gulley to the first team in 2011. Victor Pineda, the first Homegrown player in Fire history and Fire Juniors product, was recently selected by U.S. Under-20 Men's National Team head coach Tab Ramos for the 21-man roster to participate in the 2013 FIFA U-20 World Cup in Turkey from June 21-July 13, 2013.
Major League Soccer Stories from June 14, 2013
- De Luna Knows Best What Real Can Bring - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Landon Donovan admits he misses surging USMNT, looks to focus on Galaxy form before recall - Los Angeles Galaxy
- U-20s: Jose Villarreal, Shane O'Neill Lead US to 3-1 Win - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Players See Reserve League Game as Opportunity to Shine - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Real Salt Lake MF Kyle Beckerman Added to US Men's National Team - Real Salt Lake
- Preview: Crew Faces Quick Turnaround against First-Place Impact - Columbus Crew SC
- MRI confirms ACL tear in Gláuber's left knee - Columbus Crew SC
- Crew Receives Fourth Round Pick in 2014 Supplemental Draft - Columbus Crew SC
- Revolution Poised for First Visit to BC Place to Face Vancouver Whitecaps FC - New England Revolution
- Real Salt Lake Captain Named to U.S. Men's National Team - Real Salt Lake
- Crew vs. Impact - Match Preview - Columbus Crew SC
- Fatherly Influence Leads Higuaín, Warzycha to Careers in Professional Soccer - Columbus Crew SC
- Red Bulls to Face Olympique Lyonnais Tuesday, July 16 - New York Red Bulls
- Fire Continue Chase For Fifth Lamar Hunt Trophy At Toyota Park On June 26 - Chicago Fire
- Chicago Fire Announce Strategic Merger with FC Drive - Chicago Fire
- Earthquakes Waive M Abu Tommy - San Jose Earthquakes
- Impact Faces Crew Saturday Night in Columbus - Montreal Impact
- Crew Knocked Out, But Injury to Glauber Could Prove to be Bigger Blow - Columbus Crew SC
- LA Galaxy's Bruce Arena Suggests MLS Changes - Los Angeles Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.