Osuna returns, helps Lugs split doubleheaderJune 9, 2013 - Midwest League (MWL) - Lansing Lugnuts
With the bases loaded against Lugs reliever Tucker Donahue (Loss, 2-2) in the bottom of the 10th inning and the game tied at 3-3 in game one, Reaves ripped a single to left field, scoring David Gonzalez to give the Whitecaps the 4-3 win in 10 innings.
With both games of the doubleheader slated for seven innings, the Lugnuts forced extras after scoring a run to tie the game 3-3 in the sixth. Chris Hawkins drew a leadoff walk and came around to score on an RBI single by Emilio Guerrero.
After not scoring a single run against the Lugs in their first three meetings, West Michigan's first run came via a solo homer by Jake Stewart in the second inning, tying the game 1-1 at that point.
Angel Nesbitt (Win, 2-1) pitched 2.1 innings of scoreless relief for the Whitecaps, earning the win. Charlie Gillies was the West Michigan starter, going 5.2 innings, allowing three runs on eight hits. Only two of the runs were earned. Gillies walked three and struck out two in the no-decision.
The Lugnuts bullpen got a night off Saturday as both Ben White and Kramer Champlin went the distance in the doubleheader, and it was needed because game one starter Daniel Norris was taken out of the game due to injury in the second inning after going just 1.2 innings. He allowed a run on three hits, striking out two and walking two.
Roberto Osuna returned from the disabled list for the Lugnuts to start game two of the doubleheader, making his first appearance since April 30th against the Cedar Rapids Kernels.
After allowing a leadoff double to Danry Vasquez in the bottom of the first inning, Osuna retired the next 14 batters he faced before Gonzalez dribbled an infield single up the middle in the fifth inning. Osuna pitched five scoreless innings, allowing just those two hits. He struck out five and did not issue a walk.
On the other side, West Michigan starter Julio Felix (Loss, 0-3) also pitched well but made one costly mistake.
After Jorge Flores reached first on an error on Devon Travis, Kevin Patterson smashed a two-run homer over the fence in right-center, putting Lansing on top 2-0, the only runs of the ballgame.
Felix lasted four innings, allowing just one hit, the Patterson homer. Both of his runs allowed were earned and he struck out three without issuing a walk.
The finale of the five-game series is set for a 7:00 p.m. first pitch on Monday night. Lansing will go with right-hander Javier Avendano (4-3, 5.24) against Whitecaps lefty Jordan John (4-3, 3.24).
Lansing Lugnuts tickets are available for purchase at lansinglugnuts.com and by calling 517-485-4500, and Lugnuts text alerts are easily accessed by texting LUGNUTS to 313131.
Midwest League Stories from June 9, 2013
- Chiefs Run Away from River Bandits, 9-1 - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Westbrook Leads Chiefs to 9-1 Win Over Quad Cities - Peoria Chiefs
- Nunez Secures Twin Bill Sweep in Grand Fashion - Beloit Snappers
- Snappers Sneak Past Bees in Doubleheader - Burlington Bees
- Reaves Walk-Off Highlights Doubleheader Split - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Loons Blast Silver Hawks in 11-0 Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Osuna returns, helps Lugs split doubleheader - Lansing Lugnuts
- Kernels Top Kane County 8-4 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Rattlers rally to snap streak - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Kernels Beat Cougars, Even Series - Kane County Cougars
- Late Lead Blown; LumberKings Fall 11-9 - Clinton LumberKings
- Guerrieri Stifles Captains, Sends Hot Rods to Victory - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Win Season-Best Seventh Straight - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Lose Late Lead, Fall 5-3 at Fort Wayne - Dayton Dragons
- Bowling Green Conquers Captains 9-1 - Lake County Captains
- Osuna Activated from DL - Lansing Lugnuts
- Beloit Beats Burlington 6-1 - Burlington Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.