Chicago Fire Announce Upcoming Schedule ChangeMay 20, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) Chicago Fire
Recognized as U.S. Soccer's National Championship, the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup is an annual competition open to all amateur and professional soccer teams affiliated with U.S. Soccer. In 1999, the competition was renamed to honor long-time soccer pioneer Lamar Hunt.
Since 1998 the Fire have compiled an impressive 29-11-4 record in Open Cup play, reaching the semifinal round eight out of 15 times and the final six times. The Fire have previously hoisted the coveted Dewar Trophy four times in 1998, 2000, 2003 and 2006. The 2006 title marked the ninth time a team from Chicago won the Open Cup and made the Fire one of six teams to capture the crown at least four times in the tournament's 99-year-long history.
The 100th edition of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup features a field of 68 teams, the largest field in the modern era (1995-present). Another significant change for 2013 is the process for determining the site for the Open Cup tournament semifinals and final. In past years, the sites for the final three matches of the tournament had been determined through a sealed-bid process, but this year the hosts of those games will be determined by a coin flip. Home teams throughout the entire tournament will be determined by random selection.
Major League Soccer Stories from May 20, 2013
- Reserve League: Chivas USA Comes out on Top - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Earthquakes Weekly Update - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sounders FC News & Notes - Seattle Sounders FC
- Sounders FC Forward Eddie Johnson Named MLS Player of the Week - Seattle Sounders FC
- Revolution Weekly Update - New England Revolution
- Chicago Fire Homegrown Midfielder Victor Pineda Named To U.S. U-20 Roster For Toulon Tournament - Chicago Fire
- D.C. United Unveils Six-Match Ticketing Plan - D.C. United
- Sporting KC and Dynamo Set For May 26 Rematch - Sporting Kansas City
- Real Salt Lake Reserves Fall to Chivas USA Reserves - Real Salt Lake
- Timbers U-23s Eric Miller Called Up to U.S. U-20 National Team - Portland Timbers
- Ticket Information Announced for Red Bulls Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Match - New York Red Bulls
- Mexico Announces Roster for 2013 U.S. Tour Match against Nigeria in Houston on May 31 - Houston Dynamo
- Timbers U-23 Play Host to Charleston Battery Tuesday in Open Cup - Portland Timbers
- Seattle Sounders FC forward Eddie Johnson voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Shane O'Neill to join U.S. U-20 squad for Toulon Tournament on June 2 - Colorado Rapids
- Gavric and Bridgewater Voted Into Earthquakes Hall of Fame - San Jose Earthquakes
- Mechack Jerome and Peterson Joseph selected to Haiti Men's National Team - Sporting Kansas City
- Wil Trapp Called in for United States U-20 Duty - Columbus Crew
- Jordan Morris Called in by U.S. U-20 MNT - Seattle Sounders FC
- Chicago Fire Announce Upcoming Schedule Change - Chicago Fire
- Sporting KC midfielder Mikey Lopez Named to U.S. Under-20 Men's National Team - Sporting Kansas City
- Dillon Serna named to U.S. U-20 Roster for Toulon Tournament - Colorado Rapids
- Major League Soccer and Windows 8 bring fans the smartest league experience - MLS
- Grabavoy Brace Powers Real Salt Lake to 4-1 Victory at Chivas USA - Real Salt Lake
- Chivas USA Fall to Real Salt Lake at Home - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.