Carlos Triunfel Delivers Walk-Off Win Over MemphisMay 19, 2013 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) Tacoma Rainiers
With the score tied at 5-5, Triunfel launched his third home run of the season with one out to earn the Rainiers a series split in their finale with Memphis.
The infielder is the first Tacoma player to hit a walk-off home run since August of last season, and his homer marked the second time Triunfel has been responsible for driving in the game-winning run over his last two outings. He broke up a 4-4 tie with a go-ahead double in the eighth inning on Saturday night.
Home runs accounted for four of the Rainiers six runs scored in the contest. Mike Zunino gave Tacoma a 1-0 lead after delivering a solo homer in the second - the catcher's first at Cheney Stadium and seventh of the season. Nate Tenbrink cut Memphis' 4-1 lead down to a run with a two-run homer in the fourth.
The Rainiers combined to collect eight hits on Sunday, with Tenbrink and Stefen Romero leading the way with two-hit efforts. Along with his home run in the second inning, Zunino hit a sacrifice fly in the sixth to up his season total to 33 RBI. Rich Poythress also drove in a run with a single in the sixth.
Reliever Brian Sweeney (5-1) collected the win after holding the Redbirds to one hit over 2.0 scoreless innings. Starter James Paxton allowed five runs, four earned, on seven hits and struck out three over 4.2 innings of work.
The Rainiers (26-18) welcome the Nashville Sounds to Tacoma for a four-game series beginning at 6 p.m. tomorrow, May 20. Right-hander Blake Beavan (1-2, 4.86) is scheduled to start for the Rainiers in the series opener against Sounds right-hander R.J. Seidel (0-0, 5.40)
Every Rainiers game throughout the 2013 season can be heard live on South Sound Sports 850-AM and is available for online streaming at www.tacomarainiers.com.
To purchase season tickets, group packages or party decks for the 2013 season, call (253) 752-7707 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Up-to-date news and notes throughout the season can be found at www.tacomarainiers.com and by following the Rainiers on Twitter (@RainiersLand) or liking the team on Facebook.
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 19, 2013
- Nelson Drives Iowa Offense past Padres - Tucson Padres
- Fresno Completes First Sweep of the Season, Beats New Orleans 4-2 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Zephyrs Get Swept in Fresno - New Orleans Zephyrs
- River Cats Drop Series Finale, 9-3 - Sacramento River Cats
- Carlos Triunfel Delivers Walk-Off Win Over Memphis - Tacoma Rainiers
- Sounds Stung by Pesky Bees - Nashville Sounds
- Redbirds Lose to Rainiers 6-5 on 9th Inning Walk-Off - Memphis Redbirds
- Chasers Turn Tables with Two-Out RBIs in 4-3 Win - Omaha Storm Chasers
- RedHawks Take Finale in Sacramento, 9-3 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Topes Walk off in Series Finale - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Aces Drop Series Finale, 6-5 - Reno Aces
- E-Train Falls 3-1 in Extras to Sky Sox - Round Rock Express
- Profar Recalled to Rangers, Kinsler Lands on DL - Round Rock Express
- Meek Hits DL, Bianucci and Mavare Join E-Train - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Game Notes: May 19, 2013 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Home Runs Back up Kickham's Eight-Strikeout Performance - Fresno Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.