Pelicans Win Fourth Straight, Beat Red Sox 5-1May 10, 2013 - Carolina League (CarL) - Myrtle Beach Pelicans Press Release
It was a scoreless game entering the fifth, but the Birds scored three times in the fifth and two times in the sixth to help secure a win. Myrtle Beach has outscored its opponents 28-7 on the current home stand.
Trever Adams, Royce Bolinger and Jake Skole all tallied two hits, backing Payano (3-2), who unfurled a nine-strikeout performance in a winning effort. Payano had four strikeouts in his first two innings and retired the first nine batters he faced in the game.
The Pelicans scored three times in the fifth inning. The first run scored following a Drew Robinson sacrifice which led to a William Cuevas throwing error, allowing Jake Skole to score the first run. Rougned Odor followed with a sacrifice fly and Kellin Deglan capped the rally with an RBI single. Cuevas (1-4) took the loss for Salem, allowing three runs, one earned, on six hits over five innings.
The Birds added two runs in the sixth. Skole singled in a run and later scored on an RBI groundout from Drew Robinson.
The Red Sox had the bases loaded with one out in the fifth inning, but Payano got Henry Ramos to hit into a 1-2-3 inning-ending double play. Trailing 5-1 with the bases juiced in the eighth, Paul Schwendel got Keury De La Cruz, the potential tying run, to ground out to second.
Schwendel allowed a run on three hits over an inning while Randol Rojas wrapped the game up with a quick, quiet ninth.
The Pelicans are 13-4 on their home field this season, the best clip in the Carolina League.
The seven-inning effort matches the deepest of Payano's professional career, while his nine punch outs was one shy of matching a season-best.
The Pelicans continue a four-game series Saturday with the Salem Red Sox. Right-hander Jerad Eickhoff (2-2, 3.90) will be opposed by Salem's left-hander Henry Owens (3-1, 2.25). First pitch is on tap for 7:05 p.m. EST.
Tomorrow kicks off Teacher Appreciation weekend presented by Sparks Toyota. Principal Belding from "Saved by the Bell" will be in attendance. Fireworks will follow the game. Tickets are available for purchase by calling 918-6000 or online at www.myrtlebeachpelicans.com . You can also take advantage of mobile ticketing by purchasing paperless tickets online powered by TicketReturn.com.
Carolina League Stories from May 10, 2013
- Wild Walk-Off Finish in Woodbridge Propels P-Nats to Third Straight Win - Potomac Nationals
- Beckwith and Co. Blast Past Mudcats, Hillcats Win 10-3 - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Belted: Mudcats Surrender Four Homers in Loss to Hillcats - Carolina Mudcats
- Martinson Overshadows Curley, Beats Dash - Winston-Salem Dash
- Pelicans Win Fourth Straight, Beat Red Sox 5-1 - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Payano Pitches Pelicans Past Red Sox 5-1 - Salem Red Sox
- Blue Rocks and Keys Rained Out - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Keys, Blue Rocks Postponed Friday Night - Frederick Keys
- Salem Red Sox Game Notes - Salem Red Sox
- Lynchburg Hillcats Game Notes - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Winston-Salem Dash Game Notes (May 10 at Potomac) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Pelicans Media Notes vs. Salem - 7:05 p.m. EST - Game 1 of 4 - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Six-Game Home Stand Starts Tuesday - Lynchburg Hillcats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.