Black & Gold by the NumbersMay 9, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - Columbus Crew SC
Crew goalkeeper Andy Gruenebaum is set to move into a tie for third place on a pair of Black & Gold goalkeeping longevity records. With another start, Gruenebaum will tie Mark Dougherty (68) for third place on the club's all-time games started list. Gruenebaum's next appearance will also be his 69th game played in his career, matching Dougherty for third on that club list as well. William Hesmer leads the club in games played (130) and starts (130) while Jon Busch sits in second with 84 games played, including 83 starts.
Through nine games in 2013, the Crew has collected 12 points via three wins and three draws. There's plenty of season left to be played (25 games regular-season matches in fact), but capturing home points on the last leg of this homestand could prove beneficial down the road. Last year through nine games, the club was 3-4-2 (11 points) and missed the playoffs by a point, while the 2011 Crew squad was 3-2-4 (13 points) entering the 10th game of the season and made the playoffs. Headed into this week, the Crew's 12 points sat within the playoff picture in fifth place in the Eastern Conference.
During the club's 12-game home unbeaten streak (8-0-4) that dated back to July 21, 2012 and ended last Saturday, the club scored a total of 22 goals in front of the Crew Stadium crowd. It was a rarity to see the Black & Gold get shut-out at home as even during the 12-game stretch, the Crew scored in all four of its draws. Prior to last Satur- day, the last time the Crew was held scoreless at home was a 2-0 loss to KC on July 14, 2012. The Crew's next match? The July 21, 2012 contest that started the 12-game home unbeaten streak.
The Crew opened the season with three consecutive Western Conference opponents and posted a 1-1-1 mark before opening Eastern Conference play on March 23. Satur- day's contest against Colorado is the first Western Conference tilt since March 16 and the last out-of-conference clash for the Crew until a July 4 match at in Carson, Calif. against the LA Galaxy.
Major League Soccer Stories from May 9, 2013
- Robbie Keane and Todd Dunivant Return to Training after Injury Layoff - Los Angeles Galaxy
- LA Galaxy Head to Vancouver Aiming for Three Points against Whitecaps - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Vilchez ready for his return - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Suspends Chivas USA Midfielder Carlos Alvarez and Fines Philadelphia and - MLS
- Juan Agudelo Both "Shocked and Excited" by Trade to Revolution - New England Revolution
- Philadelphia Union to Host Party on the Plaza Before Game vs. LA - Philadelphia Union
- Rio Tinto Stadium to Host UHSAA Boys Soccer Championships - Real Salt Lake
- Black & Gold by the Numbers - Columbus Crew SC
- Crew Youth Update - Columbus Crew SC
- Omar Salgado Undergoes Successful Surgery - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Cruz Selected to EA SPORTS FIFA 13 Ultimate Team of the Week - Philadelphia Union
- Toronto FC Acquire Israeli International Ben Haim - Toronto FC
- San Jose Earthquakes Come from Behind to Top Toronto FC 2-1 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Extend Unbeaten Run to Eight, Earn Draw at FC Dallas - Portland Timbers
- FC Dallas Remains Unbeaten at Home; Draws Portland Timbers FC, 1-1 - FC Dallas
- Real Salt Lake Gets by Revolution 2-1 - New England Revolution
- Sporting KC Suffers 1-0 Loss to Seattle Sounders FC - Sporting Kansas City
- Real Salt Lake Downs New England 2-1 in Dramatic Fashion - Real Salt Lake
- Seattle Sounders FC Tip Sporting Kansas City Late 1-0 - Seattle Sounders FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.