Yelich, Suns Even Series with 3-1 Win over WahoosMay 8, 2013 - Southern League (SL) Pensacola Blue Wahoos
Yelich broke a 1-1 tie in the bottom of the eighth inning with a two-run home run to right-center field off Blue Wahoos reliever Shaun Ellis. Pensacola had tied the game in the top of the inning when Ryan LaMarre scored from first on a bloop double down the left field line by Joe Mather. It was his second hit of the game.
Jacksonville plated their first run in the sixth inning when Yelich scored from second on a double by Kyle Jensen. It was the only run that Dennick allowed in the game.
Ellis (L, 0-1) was tagged with the loss after allowing the home run in the eighth inning. Despite giving up the lone Wahoos run, Scott McGough (W, 3-0) earned the win for Jacksonville. Both starters pitched well, though neither got a decision. Dennick gave up just the one run over six innings with four strikeouts for Pensacola. For the Suns, Sam Dyson pitched five shutout innings and allowed four hits.
Offensively, Travis Mattair picked up another two-hit game with a 2-for-4 afternoon. He has now hit safely in five straight.
Pensacola and Jacksonville will continue their series Thursday night from the Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville. First pitch is slated for 6:05 p.m. CT. Pensacola will start RHP Daniel Renken (1-2, 3.07) against Suns RHP Matt Neil (0-2, 4.79).
NOTE: Former Wahoo, Donald Lutz, picked up another hit in the Reds 7-2 loss to Atlanta in Cincinnati. He now has hits in four straight games. Jacksonville had INF Derek Dietrich called up to Miami during Wednesday's game. Deitrich has faced the Blue Wahoos each of the last two seasons for Montgomery and Jacksonville. He will make his Major League debut as the Marlins starting second baseman in Wednesday's game with the Padres in San Diego.
Southern League Stories from May 8, 2013
- Pena, Stars Shutout Generals - Huntsville Stars
- Win Streak Snapped as M-Braves Fall 8-4 in Montgomery - Mississippi Braves
- Offense Stammers Behind Ruffin's Strong Outing - Jackson Generals
- Smokies Rallies Fall Short in 14-Inning Marathon Wednesday - Tennessee Smokies
- Barons Outlast Smokies in 14-Inning Marathon - Birmingham Barons
- Yelich, Suns Even Series with 3-1 Win over Wahoos - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Yelich's Homer Gives Suns 3-1 Victory - Jacksonville Suns
- Bethancourt Activated, Landoni to Lynchburg - Mississippi Braves
- Rogers Named Reds' Minor League Pitcher of the Month - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Lookouts' Fast Finish Can't Make up for Slow Start - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Generals Game Information (Wednesday, May 8) - Jackson Generals
- Dietrich promoted to Miami - Jacksonville Suns
- Ravago Returns to Jacksonville - Jacksonville Suns
- Wilkins Homers Twice as Barons Crush Smokies 16-0 - Birmingham Barons
- Stars Drop Series Opener With Generals - Huntsville Stars
- M-Braves Shatter Runs Record in Montgomery, 19-2 - Mississippi Braves
- Wahoos Make It Two Straight, Open Series with 5-4 Win - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Suns Fall Short in 13 Innings, 5-4 - Jacksonville Suns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.