Four Players Score as LA Galaxy Beat L.A. Blues in MLS Reserve LeagueMay 8, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) Los Angeles Galaxy
It took just five minutes for the Galaxy to get on the board as a Zardes cross from the right wing found Michael Stephens streaking into the center of the box. The midfielder powered a right-footed shot into the corner of the net for his first goal of the season, giving LA a 1-0 lead.
Zardes and Stephens nearly combined a few minutes later, only for Stephens to see his shot rattle off the crossbar.
However the Galaxy would double their lead in the 17th minute when Zardes and Jimenez combining to set up Chandler Hoffman for his first goal of the year. A long period of sustained possession and passing led to Jimenez picking out Hoffman to make the score 2-0.
LA would go into the half with a 3-0 lead as Zardes and Jimenez combined again with Zardes heading a cross past Blues goalkeeper Steve Gonzalez for his first goal of the season.
With a goal and two assists under his belt in the first half, Zardes continued his fantastic night when he was dragged down inside the area in the 49th minute, earning the Galaxy a penalty. Hector Jimenez stepped up to take the spot kick and fired his shot past Gonzalez to stretch LA's lead to 4-0.
However, things began to unravel for the home side shortly after the Jimenez penalty. Rafael Garcia headed a Blues freekick into his own net, past Brian Perk, who came on at halftime in place of Brian Lowe, to make the score 4-1 in favor of the Galaxy in the 51st minute.
The Blues then cut the lead to 4-2 in the 72nd minute when a pass from Jimmy Turner found Shay Spitz inside the box, allowing the midfielder to slip a shot past Perk. Just 10 minutes later, the lead was down to one as the Galaxy were called for a foul inside the box, leading to a penalty kick that Blues' captain Allan Russell stepped up and converted, to make the score 4-3.
However, that would be as the visitors would get as LA managed to kill off the final 10 minutes and hold on for their first win of the season. The same two sides will meet again in just more than a month's time, on Saturday, June 15 with that game scheduled to kick off at 7:30 p.m.
Major League Soccer Stories from May 8, 2013
- Bruin, Dynamo Overwhelm D.C. 4-0 - Houston Dynamo
- Impact Falls 2-1 to the New York Red Bulls - Montreal Impact
- McLain, the Challenge of Defending Chivas USA's Goal - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Chandler Hoffman Bags First Goal for the LA Galaxy as he Looks for First Team Debut - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Sporting KC Weekly Update - Sporting Kansas City
- Real Salt Lake Sends GK Jeff Attinella on Short-Term Loan to Ft. Lauderdale Strikers - Real Salt Lake
- Duncan Oughton to Join Ryan Nelsen's Coaching Staff at Toronto FC - Columbus Crew SC
- Jose Villarreal Aiming to Recreate Stunning Strike - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Houston Dynamo to Complete Two-Game Road Swing Tonight against D.C. United - Houston Dynamo
- Toronto FC Add Oughton to Coaching Staff - Toronto FC
- Scouting Report: Colorado Rapids - Columbus Crew SC
- Philadelphia Union to Host Union Day in Northeast Philadelphia - Philadelphia Union
- Four Players Score as LA Galaxy Beat L.A. Blues in MLS Reserve League - Los Angeles Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.