Back-To-Back Homers Not Enough in 3-2 LossMay 7, 2013 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) - Sacramento River Cats Press Release
On a long travel day that started in Sacramento before 4 a.m., the Cats nearly were able to steal a victory from Memphis. Trailing 1-0 in the third, Horton and Weeks hit back-to-back solo homers-the third pair of back-to-back home runs for the Cats this season-to give Sacramento an early 2-1 lead. But the Redbirds would fight back, scoring single runs in the fifth and sixth frames to take the lead for good.
The River Cats' best chance for a comeback came in the eighth, when they put runners on first and third with nobody out. But a flyout and back-to-back fielder's choices ended the threat and kept Sacramento off the board.re
Andrew Werner (2-5) flipped a quality start for the River Cats in a losing effort, holding Memphis to just three runs in 6.2 innings. Werner struck out two and walked one, scattering nine hits.
Winning pitcher Nick Additon (2-1) struck out eight without issuing a walk, holding Sacramento to just the two home runs, a single and a double. A trio of Memphis relievers shut the door on the Cats, culminating with a perfect ninth inning from Victor Marte, who picked up his seventh save of the season.
Josh Horton led the Cats offense, going 2-for-3 with his second home run in as many games. Weeks' blast was his second of the year, while Scott Moore added a double. With the two home runs in the game, the Cats now have homered in 11-straight games. The game clocked in at a speedy two hours, 14 minutes, as the two teams combined for just two walks and 15 hits.
Sacramento and Memphis square off again Wednesday morning at 9:05 a.m. PT, with RHP Bruce Billings (2-1, 6.64 ERA) scheduled to face RHP Maikel Cleto (0-1, 10.95 ERA) in game two of this four-game set. The River Cats then head to Nashville for four games before returning to Raley Field Thursday, May 16, at 7:05 p.m. to kick off an eight-game homestand against Oklahoma City and New Orleans.
River Cats Season Tickets, Mini-Plans, Flex Plans and group outings are on sale now, and can be purchased by calling the River Cats Ticket Hotline at (916) 371-HITS (4487). Individual game tickets, starting at just $8, are available now at ticketmaster.com and at Raley Field's Round Table Pizza Ticket Office. For more information about the River Cats, visit www.rivercats.com. For information on other events at Raley Field, visit www.raleyfield.com.
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 7, 2013
- Zephyrs Salt Bees with Five-Run Sixth - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Chatwood Handcuffs I-Cubs - Iowa Cubs
- Dodgers Recall Herrera, Rodriguez Joins Topes - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Sounds Open Homestand with 5-3 Loss - Nashville Sounds
- Cosart's 10 Strikeouts Lead RedHawks in 6-1 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Rainiers Ousted In Opener At OKC, 6-1 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Memphis Wins Homestand Opener over Sacramento, 3-2 - Memphis Redbirds
- Back-To-Back Homers Not Enough in 3-2 Loss - Sacramento River Cats
- Storm Chasers Rained Out - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Tuesday's Aces Game Postponed - Reno Aces
- Iowa Cubs Roster Has New Look Today - Iowa Cubs
- RedHawks Game Notes: May 7, 2013 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Padres Get Offense Going Early - Tucson Padres
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.