Crew Reserves Top Red Bulls 2-0May 4, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) Columbus Crew
Rookie Ryan Finley struck first for the Black & Gold, burying a low shot from the top of the box to beat New York 'keeper Ryan Meara in the 18th minute. The Red Bulls nearly equalized eight minutes later as Andre Akpan gained possession at midfield and made his way into the final third, but his shot was just high.
After halftime, Ben Speas added a second tally for the Black & Gold putting Chad Barson's endline service into the back of the net to make it 2-0. Ethan Finlay nearly made it 3-0 in the 73rd minute, narrowly missing Justin Meram's far-post pass.
New York had multiple chances in the second half, but the Crew defense anchored by goalkeeper Matt Lampson was able to keep the shutout intact at home.
The Crew Reserves resume play on May 18 against Toronto FC after the First Team match at BMO Field.
Major League Soccer Stories from May 4, 2013
- 'Caps unable to mount another comeback - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Buddle Scores, Irwin Keeps Clean Sheet as Rapids Top Toronto - Colorado Rapids
- Crew Reserves Top Red Bulls 2-0 - Columbus Crew
- Houston Dynamo to Begin Bicoastal Road Trip Sunday Night against LA Galaxy - Houston Dynamo
- Reserves Top Red Bulls 2-0 - Columbus Crew
- Crew Fall to Red Bulls - Columbus Crew
- Philadelphia Union Draw 2-2 with Seattle Sounders - Philadelphia Union
- Red Bulls Move into First Place in the East with 1-0 Win over Columbus - New York Red Bulls
- San Jose Earthquakes Rally from Two-Goal Deficit to Tie Montreal Impact - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sounders FC End with 2-2 Tie at Philadelphia - Seattle Sounders FC
- Impact Ties Earthquakes 2-2 in San Jose - Montreal Impact
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.