Vasquez, Whitecaps Walk It Off For Comeback WinMay 2, 2013 - Midwest League (MWL) - West Michigan Whitecaps
West Michigan (12-13) won consecutive games for the first time since April 10 and is in position for their first three-game sweep of the season heading into the series finale at 11:00 a.m. on Friday morning. Cedar Rapids (18-7), still in first place in the Midwest League's Western Division, entered the series on a nine-game winning streak and boasting the league's highest-scoring offense.
The Whitecaps overcame two separate deficits on Thursday night to force extra innings.
With the game tied at 3-3, the 10th-inning rally started when Devon Travis drew a leadoff walk against hard-throwing Kernels' closer Tyler Jones. After a strikeout, Lance Durham worked the count to 3-1 and also coaxed a free pass to push the potential walk-off run into scoring position.
Moments later, with a 1-2 count, the 19-year-old Vasquez waited back on a changeup and hit a sharp groundball up the middle to score Travis for the walk-off winner. The hit came on the heels of a 2-for-24 slump for Vasquez, rated by Baseball America as the No. 6 prospect in the Detroit Tigers' farm system.
Prior to the late drama, the Whitecaps erased a pair of deficits to give themselves a chance.
After Byron Buxton's two-run homer put Cedar Rapids ahead in the third, West Michigan countered with a pair of runs in the sixth. Adolfo Reina led off the frame with a double and Austin Schotts legged out a bunt-single. An infield singles loaded the bases, setting the stage for an RBI-single from Travis and a sacrifice fly by Jeff Holm to even the score at 2-2.
That was not all for Holm, who went 3-for-4 with a pair of RBI to raise his batting average to .393. After the Kernels' Dalton Hicks struck a run-scoring single in the sixth to put Cedar Rapids back in front, Holm countered in the seventh with a two-out single that plated Gonzalez to make it a 3-3 ballgame.
The bullpen was key from that point forward.
Chad Smith shrugged off a pair of inherited runners in the sixth and went on to throw two scoreless innings. Josh Turley got two big outs to get out of an eighth-inning jam while neutralizing the dangerous speed threat of Buxton at first base. Closer Jose Valdez (1-0) took over from there, pitching the ninth and 10th innings without allowing a hit to earn his first win of the year.
Not to be overlooked, starter Jordan John established a new career-high with six strikeouts while holding Cedar Rapids to three runs on five hits over 5.1 innings of work.
Jones (2-1) suffered the loss, recording just one out in the final frame while walking a pair and giving up the walk-off hit to Vasquez.
The Whitecaps continue a six-game homestand on Friday morning with an 11:00 a.m. first pitch against the Cedar Rapids Kernels at Fifth Third Ballpark. RHP Endrys Briceno (0-1, 5.48) will take the hill for West Michigan against LHP Mason Melotakis (1-1, 4.08) of the Kernels on a School Day at the ballpark. Group and individual tickets can be reserved by calling the Whitecaps front office at 616-784-4131 or visiting www.whitecapsbaseball.com.
Midwest League Stories from May 2, 2013
- Eighth Inning Rally Gives Hawks Seventh Win in a Row - South Bend Silver Hawks
- LumberKings Slug Dragons, 10-5 - Clinton LumberKings
- Chiefs/Captains Suspended by Rain Thursday - Peoria Chiefs
- Captains and Chiefs Suspended on Thursday Night - Lake County Captains
- Silver Hawks Grab Another Late Win over Bandits - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Lumber Kings Top Dragons 10-5 to Even Series - Dayton Dragons
- Voiro, DeYoung Strong Arm Snappers to 4-0 Win - Beloit Snappers
- Vasquez, Whitecaps Walk It Off For Comeback Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Snappers Blank Loons, 4-0 - Great Lakes Loons
- Lugnuts, Timber Rattlers Split Doubleheader - Lansing Lugnuts
- Rattlers Get Fast Start To Earn Split - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Vasquez's Single in 10th Downs Kernels 4-3 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Rain Postpones Hot Rods, Cougars - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Cougars, Hot Rods Postponed - Kane County Cougars
- Late Lansing Barrage Beats Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Baltz Bolsters TinCaps in 4-2 Victory - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hernandez, Velasquez Win Astros' April Honors - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Two Arms Head to DL - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Late Rally Hands Bees 4-2 Loss - Burlington Bees
- Loons Release First-Quarter Sustainability Update - Great Lakes Loons
- Peoria Residents Get Discounted Tickets Memorial Day Weekend - Peoria Chiefs
- Sweepstakes Announced For Youth Baseball And Softball Players - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Dragons and Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield Team up for "Home Run for Life" - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons GameDay for May 2 - Dayton Dragons
- Loons Walk-Off on Snappers in Wild Fashion - Beloit Snappers
- Dragons Announce Youth Camp Dates - Dayton Dragons
- Chiefs Belt 4 HR and Beat Captains 13-10 - Lake County Captains
- Chiefs Win 13-10 on Walkoff HR Wednesday - Peoria Chiefs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.