Lugnuts, Timber Rattlers Split DoubleheaderMay 2, 2013 - Midwest League (MWL) - Lansing Lugnuts Press Release
In the opener, the Lugs fell behind 3-0 after the top of the second inning but roared back to halt a five-game losing streak.
After Chris Hawkins bunted his way on in the second, extending his hitting streak to 13 games, Shane Opitz tripled him home with a blast to deep right-center field. Opitz came around to score on an error, pulling the Lugs to within 3-2.
With that same score in the bottom of the sixth inning, the Lugnuts jumped ahead on back-to-back home runs by Kellen Sweeney and Dwight Smith Jr., both out to right field off Timber Rattlers' reliever Tyler Mangum (Loss, 1-2), to take a 4-3 lead. Dalton Pompey singled home Jorge Flores to add an insurance run, putting Lansing ahead 5-3.
Wil Browning (Win, 2-3) received the win in game one with two scoreless innings of relief. Browning struck out three and allowed just one hit.
Lugnuts starter Daniel Norris delivered his strongest outing of the season, going five innings, tying a career-long outing. Norris allowed three runs, two of them earned, with two strikeouts and one walk.
In game two, the Timber Rattler jumped all over Lugnuts starter Ben White (Loss, 0-2) early. Behind four hits and the benefit of two walks from White, Wisconson plated four in the first inning.
White lasted just two innings, allowing five runs - all of them earned - on five hits. He struck out three and walked three in his first start this season after making five prior relief appearances.
In the fourth inning, Wisconsin extended their lead with a two-run home run by Mitch Haniger off of Lugnuts reliever Arik Sikula, giving the Rattlers a 7-0 lead.
The offense by Wisconsin was more than enough for starter Tyler Wagner (Win, 2-1). Wagner tossed six innings, allowing three runs but none of them earned. He struck out six Lansing hitters and did not allow a walk.
In the loss, the Lugnuts chipped away with a run in the fourth and two in the fifth. Pompey finished 2-for-4 with a run scored in game two. Christian Lopes was also 2-for-3 with a pair of runs driven in.
Hawkins went 0-for-3 in the nightcap, ending his hitting streak at a team-high 13 games.
The series finale, and rubber match, comes Friday night with the Lugnuts sending right-hander Javier AvendaÃÂ±o (2-1, 3.91) to the mound against Wisconsin righty Leonard Lorenzo (1-1, 6.75). First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. on a Flat Screen Friday, presented by Auto-Owners Insurance, with eight lucky fans winning flat screen TVs.
Lansing Lugnuts tickets are available for purchase at lansinglugnuts.com and by calling 517-485-4500, and Lugnuts text alerts are easily accessed by texting LUGNUTS to 313131.
Midwest League Stories from May 2, 2013
- Eighth Inning Rally Gives Hawks Seventh Win in a Row - South Bend Silver Hawks
- LumberKings Slug Dragons, 10-5 - Clinton LumberKings
- Chiefs/Captains Suspended by Rain Thursday - Peoria Chiefs
- Captains and Chiefs Suspended on Thursday Night - Lake County Captains
- Silver Hawks Grab Another Late Win over Bandits - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Lumber Kings Top Dragons 10-5 to Even Series - Dayton Dragons
- Voiro, DeYoung Strong Arm Snappers to 4-0 Win - Beloit Snappers
- Vasquez, Whitecaps Walk It Off For Comeback Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Snappers Blank Loons, 4-0 - Great Lakes Loons
- Lugnuts, Timber Rattlers Split Doubleheader - Lansing Lugnuts
- Rattlers Get Fast Start To Earn Split - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Vasquez's Single in 10th Downs Kernels 4-3 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Rain Postpones Hot Rods, Cougars - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Cougars, Hot Rods Postponed - Kane County Cougars
- Late Lansing Barrage Beats Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Baltz Bolsters TinCaps in 4-2 Victory - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hernandez, Velasquez Win Astros' April Honors - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Two Arms Head to DL - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Late Rally Hands Bees 4-2 Loss - Burlington Bees
- Loons Release First-Quarter Sustainability Update - Great Lakes Loons
- Peoria Residents Get Discounted Tickets Memorial Day Weekend - Peoria Chiefs
- Sweepstakes Announced For Youth Baseball And Softball Players - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Dragons and Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield Team up for "Home Run for Life" - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons GameDay for May 2 - Dayton Dragons
- Loons Walk-Off on Snappers in Wild Fashion - Beloit Snappers
- Dragons Announce Youth Camp Dates - Dayton Dragons
- Chiefs Belt 4 HR and Beat Captains 13-10 - Lake County Captains
- Chiefs Win 13-10 on Walkoff HR Wednesday - Peoria Chiefs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.