Baltz Bolsters TinCaps in 4-2 VictoryMay 2, 2013 - Midwest League (MWL) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
Fort Wayne (16-10) jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the top of the third inning, as Alberth Martinez hit a two-run single to right-center field, sending Brian Adams and Corey Adamson across home plate. Martinez, who had homered in his last three games, has now driven in a run in four consecutive contests.
Burlington (9-14) answered with a lone run in the bottom of the fifth inning, which was the only one tallied against TinCaps starter Justin Hancock. The Defiance, Ohio, native started on short notice, as the scheduled starter, Max Fried, was sidelined with a fever. Hancock turned in six innings, allowing three hits and striking out five without issuing a walk.
The TinCaps allowed another run in the bottom of the eighth inning, as Burlington tied the game, 2-2. Erik Cabrera, who had pitched a 1-2-3- seventh, walked the Bees' Chevy Clarke, snapping a streak of four straight batters retired. The next batter, Kevin Moesquit, hit a pop-up behind the mound that dropped to the field after a collision between shortstop Maxx Tissenbaum and first baseman Luis Tejada. Third baseman Gabriel Quintana picked up the ball and threw to second, completing the putout on Clarke. Cabrera then attempted a pickoff throw to first, which was wild and allowed Moesquit to advance to third with two outs. Roman Madrid (2-0) came out of Fort Wayne's bullpen, and allowed Moesquit to score on a single.
In the top of the ninth, facing Joseph Krehbiel (1-1) the TinCaps rattled off three straight hits, the third of which was a two-run double by Baltz. He snapped the tie and put Fort Wayne in a position to win, which it did after Madrid's perfect ninth inning. The TinCaps are now a season-best six games above the .500 mark.
The TinCaps look for a series sweep and a season-best fourth straight road win in Friday night's 7:30 pm finale at Burlington. The scheduled starters are Zach Eflin for Fort Wayne and Alex Keudell for Burlington. The game can be heard on The Fan 1380 and TheFanFortWayne.com.
Midwest League Stories from May 2, 2013
- Eighth Inning Rally Gives Hawks Seventh Win in a Row - South Bend Silver Hawks
- LumberKings Slug Dragons, 10-5 - Clinton LumberKings
- Chiefs/Captains Suspended by Rain Thursday - Peoria Chiefs
- Captains and Chiefs Suspended on Thursday Night - Lake County Captains
- Silver Hawks Grab Another Late Win over Bandits - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Lumber Kings Top Dragons 10-5 to Even Series - Dayton Dragons
- Voiro, DeYoung Strong Arm Snappers to 4-0 Win - Beloit Snappers
- Vasquez, Whitecaps Walk It Off For Comeback Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Snappers Blank Loons, 4-0 - Great Lakes Loons
- Lugnuts, Timber Rattlers Split Doubleheader - Lansing Lugnuts
- Rattlers Get Fast Start To Earn Split - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Vasquez's Single in 10th Downs Kernels 4-3 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Rain Postpones Hot Rods, Cougars - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Cougars, Hot Rods Postponed - Kane County Cougars
- Late Lansing Barrage Beats Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Baltz Bolsters TinCaps in 4-2 Victory - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hernandez, Velasquez Win Astros' April Honors - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Two Arms Head to DL - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Late Rally Hands Bees 4-2 Loss - Burlington Bees
- Loons Release First-Quarter Sustainability Update - Great Lakes Loons
- Peoria Residents Get Discounted Tickets Memorial Day Weekend - Peoria Chiefs
- Sweepstakes Announced For Youth Baseball And Softball Players - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Dragons and Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield Team up for "Home Run for Life" - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons GameDay for May 2 - Dayton Dragons
- Loons Walk-Off on Snappers in Wild Fashion - Beloit Snappers
- Dragons Announce Youth Camp Dates - Dayton Dragons
- Chiefs Belt 4 HR and Beat Captains 13-10 - Lake County Captains
- Chiefs Win 13-10 on Walkoff HR Wednesday - Peoria Chiefs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.