Brian Perk Shines in Reserve League Match After Month-Long Injury RecoveryApril 30, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - Los Angeles Galaxy
The 23-year-old, who returned to training less than a week ago after undergoing sports hernia surgery on March 16 shined in his first game back, an MLS Reserve League match against Real Salt Lake. Showing no ill effects of his injury, Perk was agile while making six saves in the 1-0 defeat at America First Field.
"It felt really good. I felt really healthy and that's the most important thing. I was getting a feel for all the movements in the game, we played a really good opponent, who took it to us, so it was good," Perk told LAGalaxy.com. "I feel close [to 100 percent], in the 90's, 95-ish (percent), just the little things that I'm still improving. There are certain things where I feel a lot better, in lateral movements and other things that I've been working on in physical therapy."
Perk may not have been at full fitness, but impressed LA's coaching staff particularly with his ability to make big saves on breakaways. However, Perk was unable to prevent Sebastian Velasquez's goal in the 75th minute.
"Brian came up big on a couple of those breakaways and we know that he's capable of that," Galaxy assistant coach and Reserve League head coach Curt Onalfo told LAGalaxy.com. "He had a very good performance."
Perk and the Galaxy may have dropped the result to RSL, but he had a rare opportunity to catch up with former Galaxy goalkeeper Josh Saunders, who earned the shutout on Sunday. The 23-year-old 'keeper served the understudy for Saunders for three years before the club parted ways with him in the offseason.
"It was awesome," said Perk. "It's sad that he's gone and everything because he's been such a big part of this team for so many years. It's always good to look across [the field] and see a familiar face, who I've learned a lot from over the years."
But if Perk wishes to regain his place as the backup to Carlo Cudicini, he'll have to win his space back from Brian Rowe, who put in a stellar, seven-save MLS debut in LA's 2-0 win over RSL in the league on Saturday. Rowe's debut brought back memories of Perk's own MLS debut when he recorded a shutout and saved a Fredy Montero penalty kick in a scoreless draw with Seattle Sounders FC on July 4, 2011.
It will likely be a battle in training for that second spot behind Cudicini, but Perk is up to the task.
"It's obviously a fight [for the backup spot]. When someone puts in a performance like that, you have to stand and applaud. But he's getting us three points, so I'm just as happy as he is," Perk said. "We're going to come in and train, it's not really any different than it's been. There's a little bit different dynamic in terms of the performances, but it's the same exact situation as it's always been."
Major League Soccer Stories from April 30, 2013
- Chivas USA Begins Preparing for SKC - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Gruenebaum Says the Columbus Crew Have the Talent "To Keep Possession and Just Shut Out Teams" - Columbus Crew SC
- Brian Perk Shines in Reserve League Match After Month-Long Injury Recovery - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Robbie Rogers Trains with the LA Galaxy - Los Angeles Galaxy
- San Jose Earthquakes to Host Second Annual Wine and Dine Event on July 28 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Impact Hosts Toronto FC in Second Leg of ACC Semi-Final Wednesday - Montreal Impact
- English Premier League's Stoke City F.C. to Meet Houston Dynamo in BBVA Compass Dynamo Charities Cup - Houston Dynamo
- Exclusive Meet and Greet Package Auction with LA Galaxy's Landon Donovan to Benefit Children's Hospi - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Defensive Resolve Returns as Revolution Keeps Fourth Clean Sheet - New England Revolution
- Real Salt Lake Sends MF Enzo Martinez on Short-Term Loan to NASL Side - Real Salt Lake
- Rapids Sign Defender Brenton Griffiths - Colorado Rapids
- Whitecaps FC Loan Bryce Alderson to Charleston - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Contest: Design the 20th Anniversary Cake - Montreal Impact
- Revolution Launches Charitable Auction to Benefit The One Fund Boston - New England Revolution
- Revolution Bobbleheads Return May 11 - New England Revolution
- Real Salt Lake Announces Local Tryout Details for RSL-Arizona - Real Salt Lake
- Warzycha Realizes "Dream Come True" in Debuting for Crew - Columbus Crew SC
- Eastern Conference Roundup: April 29 - Columbus Crew SC
- LA Galaxy Homegrown Defender Oscar Sorto Impresses at U.S. U-20 Camp - Los Angeles Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.