Chivas USA ties San Jose, 2-2, at homeApril 28, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) Club Deportivo Chivas USA
Both sides came out from the opening whistle looking to get their numbers forward. Chivas USA rookie Carlos Alvarez found space early in the match and pushed the ball inside the arc but could not get off a shot as the Quakes' defense closed in on the midfielder. Chivas USA goalkeeper Dan Kennedy continued to add to his save total (32) as he made a diving save to his left in the 12th minute on a shot that was on frame.
San Jose went ahead in 40th minute on Wondolowski's fourth goal of the season off a free kick served in by Shea Salinas from about 25 yards out near the left sideline. Salina's entry pass found Wondolowski on the right side of the box, where the forward's right-footed shot was able to beat Kennedy inside the left post.
The Rojiblancos answered back with two goals in a span of four minutes to take a 2-1 lead beginning in the 47th minute on De Luna's goal. Midfielder Jorge VillafaÃÂ±a sent a low cross from outside the left side of the box and into the short area where De Luna was cutting toward the near post. VillafaÃÂ±a's pass was initially tipped by San Jose goalkeeper Jon Busch, but the Red-and-White right back was able to put the loose ball away for the score.
VillafaÃÂ±a again pushed the ball down the left sideline and got off a second low cross from nearly the same spot. The pass momentarily traveled through the box but eventually found an unmarked Bowen on the right side of the box for a left-footed strike that beat Busch to his right.
The Red-and-White defense held the lead for 25 minutes off key saves from Kennedy and a diving save by left back Joaquin Velazquez in the 72nd minute on a cross from the left side of the box that Wondolowski nearly tapped in behind Kennedy. But Velazquez was slid in front of the goal line to deny the threat.
San Jose found the equalizer it was looking for in the 76th minute on Cato's first goal of the season. The midfielder entered the match in the 67th and was able to get on the end of Salina's second assist of the match. Salina's crossed his pass from outside the left side of the box to Cato as he made his cut toward the short area. Nana Attakora was credited with his first assist of the season on the sequence. Chivas USA continued to get into dangerous spots in stoppage time but could not take its second lead of the game, as the marker remained locked at 2-2.
Major League Soccer Stories from April 28, 2013
- Charlie Rugg Confident After Scoring to Seal 2-0 LA Galaxy Victory in MLS Debut - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Barnes Leads Dynamo to 1-1 Tie, MLS Record - Houston Dynamo
- LA Galaxy Lose to Real Salt Lake 1-0 in MLS Reserve League - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Reserves Recap: RSL 1-0 LA Galaxy - Real Salt Lake
- Statement: Mark McCullers on Stadium Fire - Columbus Crew
- Brian Rowe Puts in Masterful Performance to Seal LA Galaxy Win over RSL - Los Angeles Galaxy
- San Jose Earthquakes Rally for 2-2 Road Draw against Chivas USA - San Jose Earthquakes
- Crew Rediscover Explosive Attacking Trident in Rout of D.C. United - Columbus Crew
- Crew Stadium Fire Takes Out Sound System, But Nordecke Supporters Take Care Of National Anthem - Columbus Crew
- Scoreboard Fire a Preamble to Crew's Red Hot Attack - Columbus Crew
- Chivas USA ties San Jose, 2-2, at home - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Timbers Run Unbeaten String to Six, Remain Unbeaten on Road - Portland Timbers
- Real Salt Lake Loses 2-0 to LA Galaxy - Real Salt Lake
- Real Salt Lake Beat By La Galaxy - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Crew blank D.C. United 3-0 - Columbus Crew
- Revs blank Union - New England Revolution
- Revolution wins "for Boston and Kevin" on emotional night at Gillette Stadium - New England Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.