SWB Game NotesApril 26, 2013 - International League (IL) Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
SOLID START: Wang (1-1) went 6.2 innings and allowed just four hits, three runs (one earned) and two walks. He struck out two as his first earned run of the year lifted his ERA to a still sterling 0.75.
LATE RALLY: The RailRiders threatened late. Austin Romine's first home run as a RailRider began the ninth for a 4-1 score. Two outs later, the RailRiders had two aboard and the tying run at the plate in the red-hot Corban Joseph. But enter closer Preston Guilmet who fired a strike and on pitch two got hard contact right to the pull-shifted right fielder Jeremy Hermida for the final out and Guilmet's seventh save, tying him for the most in the minors.
RISPY BUSINESS: The RailRiders' lone score came on Romine's blast, but the team had ample opportunity to put more on the board. SWB struggled to an 0-for-11 showing with runners in scoring position. On the season, the team owns a .217 batting average with men at second and/or third. With the bases full? It lowers to .167 (4-for-24) with two walks and eight strikeouts.
SCORING CHANGE: Shortly after the game last night, an official scoring change turned Juan Cedeno's second wild pitch in the eighth into a passed ball on Romine, his first of the season. As a result, the run on Cedeno's line became unearned. SWB has only been charged with two passed balls on the season.
INHERITANCE TAX: While Cedeno saw the earned run against him wiped away, he still endured a first-time negative number. He inherited two runners from Wang and allowed one of them to score. He had not allowed any of his first four hand-me down men to come around this season. As a team, the RailRiders' bullpen has allowed just seven of its 23 (.304) inherited runners to ultimately score.
THOUGHTS & PRAYERS: An ugly moment saw Columbus starter and former Phillies No. 1 overall prospect Carlos Carrasco take a Joseph liner off his pitching elbow. A 10-minute delay followed with Carrasco writhing on the first-base side of the mound in obvious pain before limping off the field with assistance. Carrasco had regularly been hitting in the mid-90s with an electric fastball and reached the high-80s with a devastating slider. According to The Columbus Dispatch, he was diagnosed with a deep contusion of his surgically-repaired right elbow/forearm.
THE EVENING AFTER: Just one day after blasting his first Triple-A tater, a more than 400-foot tape-measure shot to right, Cody Johnson endured and 0-for-4 performance with three strikeouts. The former first-round pick has hit .125 (4-for-32) this year with 21 strikeouts (66% of his at-bats) and two RBIs. All of his at-bats save for one pinch-hitting appearance have come as the DH. Only three other players that have seen game time in the IL this season have not played a position. Blake Tekotte has one game with Charlotte as the Knights' DH. David Ortiz was the DH in all six of his rehab games with Pawtucket. Toledo's John Lindsey has appeared in 18 games, 17 as the DH and one as a pinch hitter.
GOIN' SOLO: The RailRiders have blasted 13 home runs this year thanks to Romine's round-tripper last night. While its home/road splits are nearly dead even (seven at home/six on the road), nine of the 13 (69%) homers by Dave Miley's squad have been solo shots.
SIMPLY THE BEST: Despite making the lone miscue in the loss, SWB still boasts the IL's top fielding percentage (.981) with a league-low 13 errors.
International League Stories from April 26, 2013
- Gilmartin Silences Bats, Leads Braves to Series Win - Louisville Bats
- Clippers Sneak by RailRiders, Capture Series Win - Columbus Clippers
- Carson's Home Run Gives Clippers 3-2 Win over RailRide - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bulls Hit Grand Slam, Turn Triple Play in Instant Classic - Durham Bulls
- Chiefs Drop Pitchers' Duel to Red Wings - Syracuse Chiefs
- Gilmartin Pitches G-Braves to 2-1 Win - Gwinnett Braves
- Bisons Rally for 8-4 Win over PawSox - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Red Sox Send Hanrahan to Pawtucket to Begin Rehab - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Septimo Set to Rehab with Knights Beginning Tonight - Charlotte Knights
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- From Triple-A Baseball to the NFL - Pawtucket Red Sox
- IronPigs Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Buffalo Bisons Mobile App Free for Apple & Android Devices - Buffalo Bisons
- Rochester Red Wings Game Notes - Rochester Red Wings
- Bisons Notes - Pawtucket at Buffalo (6:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Reineke with Suburb Outing, But Bats Unable to Provide Run Support - Louisville Bats
- Liriano Leads Tribe by Lehigh Valley 5-1 - Indianapolis Indians
- Clippers Beat RailRiders 4-1 - Columbus Clippers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.