Timbers Development UpdateApril 23, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - Portland Timbers
With two draws, the Timbers U-18 Academy is unbeaten in their last three matches, while the Timbers U-16 Academy extended its season-long unbeaten run to 10 games.
The Timbers U-18s played the Santa Cruz Breakers Academy to a 0-0 draw on Saturday, with goalkeeper Collin Partee (Camas, Wash.) recording the team's second shutout in four games.
On Sunday, the Timbers U-18s earned a 1-1 draw against the Force. Portland struck first on forward Spencer Kleweno's (Portland, Ore.) first goal of the season, but De Anza was able to equalize on a penalty-kick goal. Midfielder Sam Werner (Bozeman, Mont.) had a quality look in the closing moments of the match miss just wide.
The Timbers U-18s are 9-10-5 (32pts) on the season and are within reach of a wildcard playoff position in the U.S. Soccer Development Academy playoffs for their age group.
A two-goal performance from Reid Baez helped guide the Timbers U-16s to a 2-2 draw against the Breakers Academy on Saturday. Baez tallied seven minutes apart in the 60th and 67th minutes, respectively, during a 14-minute stretch in which all four of the game's goals were scored. Baez now has four goals on the season and sits among the team's leading goal-scorers.
The Timbers U-16s recorded a 2-2 draw against De Anza on Sunday. Portland built a two-goal lead on goals from Alex Segovia (Beaverton, Ore.) in the eighth minute and defender Niko De Vera (Washougal, Wash.) in the 46th minute. The first-place Force climbed back into the match, scoring in the 57th minute and found the equalizer from David Levitsky in the 77th minute. Portland's Segovia has scored three goals over the last three games and leads the team with eight on the campaign.
The Timbers U-16s are 10-6-7 (37pts) and hold onto a wildcard playoff berth in the U.S. Soccer Development Academy with their two results over the weekend.
The Timbers Academy teams have just four regular-season matches remaining on their 2012-13 schedule, and will visit the Washington Crossfire Premier on Saturday at Redmond High School in Redmond, Wash. The U-18 sides kickoff at 2 p.m., while the U-16 teams square off at 4:30 p.m. (Pacific).
Three Timbers Academy players see time in victory for Timbers Reserves on April 15 Timbers U-18 Academy forwards Christian Desir (Portland, Ore.) and Anthony Machionne (Camas, Wash.) and midfielder James Nosack (Ridgefield, Wash.) all saw time in a recent 2-1 victory for the Portland Timbers Reserves over the San Jose Earthquakes Reserves on April 15 at JELD-WEN Field. Desir made his second appearance for the Timbers Reserves this season, playing 27 minutes, while Machionne and Nosack each played their first minutes for the Timbers Reserves during the 2013 MLS Reserve League season.
Additionally, De Vera, from the Timbers U-16s, and Timbers U-18 midfielder/forward Lucas Cawley (Centerville, Utah) were both on the match day roster in the win over the Earthquakes Reserves.
Major League Soccer Stories from April 23, 2013
- LA Galaxy Players Help Build Reading Garden at Annalee Avenue - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Timbers Development Update - Portland Timbers
- After Long Wait, Stephen McCarthy Feels Fit - New England Revolution
- Maturing Jack McBean Settling into Regular Role with the LA Galaxy - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Sporting KC Season Tickets Sold out for 2013 Season - Sporting Kansas City
- Dynamo, Texas Children's Health Plan to host Fútbol Fiesta - Houston Dynamo
- Viana Returns to Columbus Just in Time for Birth of Daughter - Columbus Crew SC
- Sounders FC News & Notes - Seattle Sounders FC
- Impact Takes on Toronto FC in First Leg of ACC Semi-Final Wednesday - Montreal Impact
- Timbers to Play Host to Monarcas Morelia in Inaugural Copa Verde - Portland Timbers
- San Jose Earthquakes Unveil Saves for SEALs Supporters' Section for June 29 Game at Stanford Stadium - San Jose Earthquakes
- Crew Homegrown Player Wil Trapp Called into United States Under-20 Camp - Columbus Crew SC
- LA Galaxy Weekly Update - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Reserves Recap: RSL 0-0 Phoenix FC - Real Salt Lake
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.