Philadelphia Union Forward Jack McInerney Voted MLS Player of the WeekApril 22, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS)
Jack McInerney led the Philadelphia Union to a 3-2 victory over D.C. United, ending their three game winless streak. McInerney scored two goals in the first half to secure Philadelphia's lead for the rest of the game, and now leads the league in scoring with six goals.
McInerney opened up the scoring in 7th minute when Conor Casey played a through ball to McInerney, who settled it, split his defenders and struck a left footed shot from the center of the box into the bottom right corner.
McInerney scored what was ultimately the game-winning goal in the 26th minute when Amobi Okugo's headed pass ended up at McInerney's feet and he left-footed the ball into the bottom right corner.
The Philadelphia Union are back in action this Saturday against the New England Revolution at Gillette Stadium (7:30 p.m. ET).
The MLS Player of the Week is selected each week of the regular season by a panel of journalists from NASR. The group consists of members of print, television, radio and online media. More information and membership information can be found at http://www.soccerreporters.com/.
Major League Soccer Stories from April 22, 2013
- Forward Julio Morales Called in to Mexico's U-20 Camp - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Eastern Conference Roundup: April 22 - Columbus Crew
- Edgar "Chore" Mejia and Carlos Borja to Participate in Meet-And-Greet Event in Costa Mesa - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Earthquakes Weekly Update - San Jose Earthquakes
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Suspends and Fines New York Red Bulls Midfielder Juninho - MLS
- Eric Mastalir Named Chief Commercial Officer - Seattle Sounders FC
- Revolution Youth Update - New England Revolution
- San Jose Earthquakes and Wells Fargo Announce Summer 4v4 Tournament Dates - San Jose Earthquakes
- San Jose Earthquakes Academy Goalkeeper Kendall McIntosh Joins United States U-20 Camp - San Jose Earthquakes
- MLS Players Union Donates Portion of 2012 Fines to Urso Fund - Columbus Crew
- 100 Days 'Til All-Star -- This Week in MLS - MLS
- Dillon Serna Called up to April 22-29 U.S. U-20 Training Camp - Colorado Rapids
- Two Dallas Natives Called to U.S. Under-20 National Team Camp - FC Dallas
- Chicago Fire Midfielder Victor Pineda Named to U.S. U-20 Training Camp Roster - Chicago Fire
- Yedlin and Morris Called in for U.S. U-20 National Team Camp - Seattle Sounders FC
- Philadelphia Union Forward Jack McInerney Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Jack McInerney Named MLS Player of the Week - Philadelphia Union
- D.C. United Academy Update - D.C. United
- Familiar Back Four Results in a Shutout for the LA Galaxy - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Colorado Rapids name six prospects that will represent club at National Finals of Sueño MLS - Colorado Rapids
- Chicago Fire Venture North to Take on Montreal Impact - Chicago Fire
- BBVA Compass Stadium & Houston Dynamo Team up for Earth Day Celebration this Sunday - Houston Dynamo
- Timbers Remain Unbeaten on Road with Draw at San Jose - Portland Timbers
- San Jose Earthquakes Score in Stoppage Time to Earn 1-1 Draw with Portland Timbers - San Jose Earthquakes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.