Iowa Wild to hit the ice this fallApril 22, 2013 - American Hockey League (AHL) - Iowa Wild Press Release
The Iowa Wild will play at Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines, Iowa, beginning in the 2013-14 AHL season. The announcement was made today by Wild Owner Craig Leipold at a press conference in Des Moines.
"We are excited to announce that the Iowa Wild will begin play in the 2013-14 AHL season," Leipold said. "Des Moines is an excellent sports market. Wild fan support is excellent not just in the State of Hockey but throughout the Upper Midwest, including Iowa. We know fans in Des Moines will enjoy watching tomorrow's Minnesota Wild stars. Our team will be entrenched in this community, particularly in youth hockey."
"The American Hockey League is looking forward to returning to Iowa this fall," said AHL President and CEO David Andrews. "Under the leadership of the Minnesota Wild and with the support of the Des Moines community, we are confident that the Iowa Wild will be a successful franchise for years to come."
The Iowa Wild website is now active at Iowawild.com. Fans can request ticket info on the website, and can also call 1.855.IOA.WILD (1.855.462.9453) to place a $100 deposit on a season ticket. More information on tickets and corporate partnerships will be available in the near future.
"The Board of Supervisors is excited to welcome the Iowa Wild and AHL hockey back to Wells Fargo Arena. The Wild's commitment brings 100 jobs to our community and we look forward to seeing the first puck drop in Wells Fargo Arena this fall," stated Polk County Board of Supervisors Chair Tom Hockensmith.
"The Minnesota Wild is a first class organization that has been highly successful in the NHL and we look forward to working with them in parlaying that success over to the AHL team in Des Moines," said Global Spectrum's Chris Connolly, General Manager of the Iowa Events Center and Wells Fargo Arena.
Wells Fargo Arena, which opened July 12, 2005, is a 16,000 seat arena located in Des Moines, IA. The arena, part of the Iowa Events Center, is owned by Polk County and professionally managed by Global Spectrum.
American Hockey League Stories from April 22, 2013
- Falcons Weekly Notes - Springfield Falcons
- Crunch Weekly - Syracuse Crunch
- Canadiens Recall Eight from Bulldogs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Four Phantoms Headed to Philly - Adirondack Phantoms
- Monarchs Weekly Report - Manchester Monarchs
- Penguins Weekly - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Florida Panthers Recall Colby Robak - San Antonio Rampage
- Worcester Sharks 2012-13 Season Wrap up - Worcester Sharks Weekly - Worcester Sharks
- Florida Panthers Sign Logan Shaw to Entry-Level Contract - San Antonio Rampage
- Hogs Go Down Fighting, Finish Season with 42 Wins - Rockford IceHogs
- Portland Pirates Announce 20th Anniversary All-Time Team - Portland Pirates
- Coyotes Assign Chad Johnson and Nick Johnson to Portland - Portland Pirates
- Iowa Wild to hit the ice this fall - Iowa Wild
- Hellberg Named AHL Player of the Week - Milwaukee Admirals
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Dowell, Harding and Veilleux from Houston - Houston Aeros
- San Antonio Rampage Weekly Update - San Antonio Rampage
- Milwaukee's Magnus Hellberg Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- Savard Assigned to Falcons - Springfield Falcons
- The Rock Report - St. John's IceCaps
- Whale Weekly, April 22-28 - Connecticut Whale
- Jets Recall Redmond from Conditioning Assignment with IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Last-Day Ticket Punch - Hershey Bears
- Bruins Announce Dates for Conference Quarterfinals - Providence Bruins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.