Intimidators, GreenJackets Split Doubleheader in AugustaApril 21, 2013 - South Atlantic League (SAL) - Kannapolis Intimidators
In Game 1, the Intimidators and GreenJackets deadlocked through five scoreless innings until Augusta's Matt Duffy tripled to lead off the bottom of the sixth. Kannapolis starting pitcher Euclides Leyer walked the next batter before inducing a ground ball from Benjamin Turner, allowing Jean Almanzar to throw out Duffy at the plate.
Brandon Hardin replaced Leyer with two on and gave up a single followed by a Charles Jones sacrifice-fly to bring home the game's only run.
Leyer (1-2) took the loss, giving up a run on three hits over 5 1/3 innings while striking out four and walking two. Augusta's Joe Biagini (1-0) tossed 6.0 scoreless innings and struck out seven for the win, and Tyler Mizenko spun a scoreless ninth for the save (5).
Jason Coats went 3-for-3 at the plate in the first half of the twin bill.
In the second game, the Intimidators' patience earned them three runs in the top of the second inning. After Coats led off the frame with a double, GreenJackets starting pitcher Jose Reyes retired Yoandy Barroso before walking four straight batters -- Patrick Palmeiro, Zach Fisher, Michael Johnson and Kale Kiser -- to give Kannapolis a 2-0 edge.
Augusta turned to reliever Brandon Farley with one out and the bases loaded in the second inning. He retired Micah Johnson before plunking Adam Heisler to plate another run for the Intimidators.
Michael Johnson's two-run double extending the Intimidators' lead to 5-0 in the third inning. He finished the game 1-3 with three RBI. Coats continued his hot hitting, going 2-4 with a pair of doubles, the 10th straight game in which he has hit safely.
On the mound, Kannapolis starter Brandon Brennan kept Augusta's offense quiet long enough for the Intimidators to build a lead. Brennan (1-2) earned his first win of the year, limiting the GreenJackets to a run on four hits over 5.0 innings while striking out three and walking one. Ryan Bollinger tossed a perfect sixth inning, and Braulio Ortiz worked the seventh to finish the game on the mound.
Reyer (1-2) took the loss for Augusta, which used five pitchers in the second game of the doubleheader.
The Intimidators have their first scheduled off day on Monday and return home to CMC-NorthEast Stadium for a three-game home stand beginning Tuesday against the Rome Braves. First pitch on Tuesday is 7:05 p.m. and fans can get 2-for-1 tickets by bringing any Arby's proof of purchase to the box office. Tuesdays are also Senior Night, and fans can play bingo throughout the game. For ticket information, call the F&M Bank Box Office at (704) 932-3267 or visit the team's website at IntimidatorsBaseball.com.
South Atlantic League Stories from April 21, 2013
- Hickory Sweeps Charleston - Charleston RiverDogs
- Intimidators, GreenJackets Split Doubleheader in Augusta - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Twin Bill Sweep Pushes Win Streak to 7 - Hickory Crawdads
- Legends Complete Sweep with 6-3 Victory - Lexington Legends
- Power Surge Lifts West Virginia over Suns in Series Finale - Hagerstown Suns
- Power Earn Split with 11-2 Victory - West Virginia Power
- Shorebirds Shutout Grasshoppers, 8-0 - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Rome Drops Third Straight to Asheville - Rome Braves
- Legends Complete Sweep with 6-3 Victory - Greenville Drive
- BlueClaws Bring Home Finale 5-3, Salvage Series Split - Lakewood BlueClaws
- WV Power Game Notes - West Virginia Power
- Game Notes: Kannapolis Intimidators at Augusta GreenJackets (April 21, 2013 - Doubleheader) - Kannapolis Intimidators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.