Wolves Stay Alive with 5-2 Victory at Lake ErieApril 19, 2013 - American Hockey League (AHL) Chicago Wolves
Defenseman Jim Vandermeer, Danny Groulx and Brad Hunt and forwards Darren Archibald and Andrew Gordon scored for the Wolves (37-28-5-4) as they produced a season-high 3 power-play goals. Goaltender Matt Climie (24-24-3) stopped 40 shots to keep Chicago in the chase for a Western Conference playoff berth.
With two games to play, the Wolves sit in 10th place with 83 points. They're among five teams chasing three available playoff spots, but they don't control their destiny because Milwaukee (85 points, two games left) defeated Charlotte 6-4 at home while Rockford (85 points, one game left) won 9-4 at San Antonio.
Rochester, which has 86 points with two games left, also is within the Wolves reach. If the Wolves win their home games Saturday and Sunday, then they'll finish with 87 points. They'll reach the playoffs as long as two teams in the Milwaukee-Rockford-Rochester troika don't reach the 87-point mark. Oklahoma City (87 points) is beyond Chicago's grasp.
Chicago took control of Friday's game 12:27 into the first period. With Monsters netminder Sami Aittokallio well-screened, Vandermeer blasted a point shot through traffic and into the goaltender's mesh to give the Wolves a 1-0 lead.
Moments later on the power play, defenseman Danny Groulx found a loose puck in the slot and slammed his shot off Davies in front of the net to make it 2-0 at 14:11.
The Wolves failed to carry a two-goal lead into the first intermission, though, as Monsters right wing Tomas Vincour scored on a redirect at 19:16.
The Wolves regained control when Archibald whacked a puck out of midair past Aittokallio at the 2:50 mark in the second period. Hunt followed by firing a slap shot so forcefully that it bounced in and out of the Monsters net before some players realized it was a goal at 6:18. Aittokallio departed at that point with the Wolves leading 4-1.
After Lake Erie's Paul Carey dumped a goal into an empty net following a scramble, Gordon accepted a Darren Haydar pass in the slot and rifled it past backup goaltender Calvin Pickard for a 5-2 lead at 17:11 of the second.
The Wolves return to the Allstate Arena at 7 p.m. Saturday for the final Amtrak Rivalry game of the season against Milwaukee. For tickets, call 1-800-THE-WOLVES or visit ChicagoWolves.com.
American Hockey League Stories from April 19, 2013
- Admirals King Checkers 6-4 - Milwaukee Admirals
- Bears Edge Phantom on Late Goal - Adirondack Phantoms
- Houston Nips Texas 4-3 in Last Ever Regular Season Showdown - Texas Stars
- Bulldogs Crush IceCaps 4-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Hamilton Scores Twice Shorthanded Late in 4-2 Win - Worcester Sharks
- Aeros Beat Texas 4-3, Clinch Calder Cup Playoff - Houston Aeros
- Win Streak Comes to End in Second-To-Last Game of Season - Lake Erie Monsters
- Wolves Stay Alive with 5-2 Victory at Lake Erie - Chicago Wolves
- Checkers Come Back, Lose Lead in Milwaukee - Charlotte Checkers
- Providence Bruins Clinch Top Seed in Eastern Conference - Providence Bruins
- Monarchs Take Control over Senate - Manchester Monarchs
- Portland Pirates Clinch Playoff Berth - Portland Pirates
- Griffins Win Midwest Division Title - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rivermen Close Road Schedule Wth Last-Second Loss - Peoria Rivermen
- Penguins Fall to Sharks at Home - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- B-Sens Fall to Monarchs, 2-1 - Binghamton Senators
- Admirals Fall in Syracuse, Now in a Four-Way Tie in Playoff Race - Norfolk Admirals
- Late Goal Leads to Devils' Victory - Albany Devils
- IceCaps Defeated by Bulldogs - St. John's IceCaps
- Flames Reassign Mark Cundari to Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Heat Edged by Barons 1-0 - Abbotsford Heat
- MVP Leads Crunch Past Admirals - Syracuse Crunch
- Falcons Drop Back-And-Forth Battle to Bruins - Springfield Falcons
- Bears Come Back to Defeat Phantoms - Hershey Bears
- Pirates Clinch Playoff Berth with 3-1 Win over Sound Tigers - Portland Pirates
- Pirates Defeat Sound Tigers 3-1 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Marlies Win Second Consecutive Sam Pollock Trophy - Toronto Marlies
- Whitney Whacks Whale with Late Tally - Connecticut Whale
- Bulldogs Annual Fan Appreciation Day to Take Place this Sunday - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Diamond Agrees to Entry-Level Deal - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- B-Sens and B-Mets Partner for "Downtown Doubleheader" - Binghamton Senators
- Norfolk Admirals Weekly: Admirals Control Their Playoff Picture in Final Weekend - Norfolk Admirals
- Griffins Receive Five from Toledo - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Anaheim Recalls G Igor Bobkov from Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Kings Assign Toffoli to Manchester - Manchester Monarchs
- Sound Tigers Sign Three to AHL Contracts for 2013-14 Season - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Syracuse Crunch Forward Tyler Johnson Named American Hockey League MVP - Syracuse Crunch
- Syracuse's Tyler Johnson Named Winner of Les Cunningham Award as AHL MVP - AHL
- Flames Recall Mark Cundari - Abbotsford Heat
- Henderson, Bang Recalled to Nashville - Milwaukee Admirals
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield at Providence, Game #75 - Springfield Falcons
- AHL's Rochester Americans to Participate in 2013 Spengler Cup Tournament - AHL
- Bogosian and Everson Added for Final Weekend - Peoria Rivermen
- Pirates Look to Clinch Playoff Berth against Sound Tigers - Portland Pirates
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.