D.C. United, Northern Virginia Soccer Club (NVSC) and adidas Reach Affiliate AgreementApril 18, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) D.C. United
"We are thrilled that NVSC will join us as our fourth affiliate club," said Sonny Silooy, D.C. United's Director of Youth Development. "We have been working with several players that came from NVSC, and we are happy with their progression. The D.C. United Academy looks forward to assisting with their plan for club and player development, in addition to strengthening our relationship with NVSC through this mutually beneficial partnership."
"We are very excited to join D.C. United as an affiliate club," said NVSC's Technical Director of Coaching Bill Lanza. "We are grateful for the opportunity to share in the great success D.C. United has had in developing professional and collegiate level players since the onset of the Development Academy. Their expertise in training curriculum and coaching education will enhance our club philosophy of a singular training program and style of play. Players in Prince William County and surrounding areas will now have direct access to professional soccer training and development with DC United. Participation in D.C. United's Homegrown program is an important benefit to our players, allowing them to train locally while under the guidance of a nationally-acclaimed soccer program."
In addition to the player identification and development component of the affiliate agreement, NVSC will be outfitted with D.C. United and adidas-branded training gear, uniforms and coaching gear, and will receive special D.C. United ticketing opportunities for players and their families.
"The United States has some of the best athletic talent in the world, and it's our goal to provide homegrown athletes with opportunities to play elite soccer," said Ernesto Bruce, Director of Soccer for adidas America. "With our recent extension of the Major League Soccer contract, we have put the importance of youth development at a premium, and are excited about helping create Youth Club Alliances with local MLS clubs. This partnership between NVSC, D.C. United and adidas will prove to be a great step in developing the next generation of American soccer icons."
"'This agreement continues our development of strategically integrated business initiatives," said Doug Hicks, D.C. United's Chief Marketing Officer. "We look forward to engaging with additional local and regional clubs in the weeks ahead."
Major League Soccer Stories from April 18, 2013
- LA Galaxy Look to Spoil Sporting Kansas City's Shutout Streak - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Timbers Weekly Update - Portland Timbers
- San Jose Earthquakes Announce Plans for Earth Day Celebration at Team's Match on Sunday, April 21 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Revolution happy with - but not relying upon - league-leading defense - New England Revolution
- Chicago Fire vs. Columbus Crew Match on Saturday, April 20 Named MLS Stream of the Week - Chicago Fire
- Black & Gold by the Numbers: April 18 - Columbus Crew SC
- Rapids Match against Seattle this Saturday to be Broadcast on Altitude 2 - Colorado Rapids
- Tryouts Continue this Weekend at First-Time Host Colorado Rapids for Sueño MLS 2013 - MLS
- Sounders FC Announces Reserve League Game at Cheney Stadium - Seattle Sounders FC
- Revolution to Tour Boston During "Ticket Tuesday" - New England Revolution
- Philadelphia Union to Host Star Wars Day at PPL Park - Philadelphia Union
- Agustin Viana Says "It's Always in My Heart" to Play in MLS - Columbus Crew SC
- Amway Canadian Championship Returns to TVA Sports - Montreal Impact
- D.C. United, Northern Virginia Soccer Club (NVSC) and adidas Reach Affiliate Agreement - D.C. United
- Sporting KC Moves Atop East with 1-0 Win at New York - Sporting Kansas City
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.