Burch Smith TL Pitcher of the WeekApril 15, 2013 - Texas League (TL) - San Antonio Missions Press Release
Smith was brilliant in his first two starts of the season. In his Double-A debut on 4/6 at Wolff Stadium, Smith was a winner, holding the Tulsa Drillers to just three hits in six scoreless innings. Six days later at ONEOK Field in Tulsa, Smith did not factor in the decision, but was just as impressive, striking out a Missions' season-high eight in five shutout frames.
The Tyler, TX native, who turned 23 the day of his second start, spent all of 2012 with High-A Lake Elsinore of the California League. In 26 starts for the Storm, Smith went 9-6 with a 3.85 ERA. In his start at Rancho Cucamonga on 4/28, he set career highs in innings pitched (7.2) and strikeouts with 13.
This is already Smith's second Pitcher of the Week award of his young career after earning the CAL League honor last season on July 30th .
Smith was originally selected by San Diego in the 14th round of the 2011 First-Year Player Draft out of the University of Oklahoma. Prior to his successful stint with the Sooners, Smith pitched for Howard (TX) College, where he was named Western Junior College Athletic Conference Pitcher of the Year in 2010.
Smith's next start will be Thursday, April 18 when the Missions begin an eight-game homestand with a 7:05 PM showdown with the Midland RockHounds.
Texas League Stories from April 15, 2013
- Late Inning Outburst Fuels Frisco Victory - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Another Big Night in Travs Win - Arkansas Travelers
- Don't Blink! Hooks, 'Riders in for Quick Four - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Parker Strikes Again - Tulsa Drillers
- Burch Smith TL Pitcher of the Week - San Antonio Missions
- Homestand Highlights - April 18th - April 21st - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Matt Long Named TL Player of the Week - Arkansas Travelers
- Frisco RoughRiders Game Notes - Frisco RoughRiders
- Naturals to Host 2013 Texas League All-Star Gala - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Wild Game Turns Bad for Hounds - Midland RockHounds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.