Hogs Cap Week 27 with Much-Needed VictoriesApril 15, 2013 - American Hockey League (AHL) Rockford IceHogs
Three games were slated during Week 27 for the Rockford IceHogs and to gain ground in the Western Conference playoff race, each was a must-win tilt. Despite stumbling in Peoria on Wednesday, the Hogs came roaring back for the regular season home finale on Friday by blowing out fellow Western Conference playoff hopefull, the Chicago Wolves. Rockford followed up the high-octane contest by defeating another Western Conference playoff contender in the Milwaukee Admirals at the BMO"ÂHarris Bradley Center. With half of the Western Conference playoff teams booked for post-season play, the Hogs will look for help from their foes in the final week of the season, as they enter Week 28 just two points ahead of Milwaukee and Chicago. The Admirals and Wolves each have four games scheduled this week (two head-to-head), while the Hogs have just two games, both on the road at San Antonio and Texas to close out the regular season.
- Center Brandon Pirri has 14 points (2g-12a) over the past two weeks, spanning seven games
- Pirri notched an IceHogs franchise record five assists and six overall points in Friday's 7-3 win over Chicago
- Entering the 28th and final week of the regular season, Pirri is tied with former IceHogs center and linemate Jeff Taffe of the Hershey Bears, with 70 for the league lead in points
- By notching 70 points this season, Pirri becomes just the second IceHogs skater in the team's AHL era to reach the 70 point plateau, joining Martin St. Pierre (07-08; 88 pts)
- Ben Smith returned to the IceHogs lineup on Friday after missing seven games due to injury and notched his first career hat trick and added an assist
- Smith scored the game winning goal in both games over the weekend to grab the team lead with seven game winners and had 4g-2a-6pts in the two games
- Smith (23) joined Jeremy Morin (29), Martin St. Pierre (25), Jimmy Hayes (23) and Brandon Pirri (21) as 20 goal scorers for the IceHogs this season
- In his 12 games with the IceHogs this season, Rostislav Olesz has 7g-9a-16pts
- Carter Hutton has won three straight starts while compiling a 1.66 goals against average and a .937 save percentage
- After starting the season 1-6-0-1 against the Midwest Division, Rockford went 22-13-1-0 (.625) over the last 36 games against the Division to finish with a 23-19-1-1 record
- Rockford claimed the 2nd Annual Illinois Lottery Cup with their 7-3 win over Chicago Friday
- Rockford had a season-high 10 power play chances on Saturday against Milwaukee
- The IceHogs reached the 40-win mark for the first time since 2009-10.
- Since the IceHogs joined the AHL in 2007-08, only two teams have failed to qualify for the Calder Cup Playoffs after winning 40 games during the regular season (San Antonio-40, 2010-11; Bridgeport-40, 2007-08)
- The IceHogs set an all-time average attendance record, averaging 4,560 fans per game this season
- The team hosted their fifth sellout of the season during Friday's home regular season finale at the BMO Harris Bank Center
Hot Hog: Week 27
Brandon Pirri Center
Center Brandon Pirri set IceHogs' franchise records for assists and points in a game and surged to the 70-point mark during Week 27. The Toronto native now shows 14 points over the past two weeks, including 2g-12a-14pts over the seven game stretch. After getting shutout on Wednesday in Peoria, Rockford, led by Pirri, exploded for seven goals on Friday. Pirri put up a goal and five assists in the 7-3 win over Chicago to set the club record in both categories. Then on Saturday, Pirri marked an assist on the IceHogs game-winning goal in a 3-1 win in Milwaukee over the Admirals.
Friday, April 19 at San Antonio: Game time is set for 7:30 p.m. as the Hogs head to Texas to close out the campaign with their last stop in San Antonio against the Rampage at the AT&T Center. The Hogs are 2-1-0-0 in the first three tilts this year against the Florida Panthers' affiliate.
Saturday, April 20 at Texas: Puck drops at 7 p.m. as the IceHogs close out the regular season with a tilt against the Texas Stars in Cedar Park, Tex. The previous time Rockford and Texas squared off was on Feb. 5 when Rockford overcame a three-goal deficit and claimed a 5-4 victory via shootout. Overall, the Hogs are 1-2-0-0 against the Dallas Stars affiliate this season and 6-3-1-0 all-time at the Cedar Park Center.
Bud Light Hog Talk Returns Tonight:
Bud Light Hog Talk returns tonight to District Bar and Grill from 6-7 p.m. District is located at 205 West State St., one block north of the BMO"ÂHarris Bank Center. Fans can join Mike Peck from 6-7 p.m. most Mondays as they chat with IceHogs players, coaches and front office members. This week's guests include forward Brandon Pirri, goaltending coach Andrew Allen and head coach Ted Dent. Take advantage of food and Bud Light specials at District. The show will be re-aired on Tuesdays from 7-8 p.m. on 23.2 Antenna TV.
The IceHogs Broadcasting Network:
Catch every IceHogs game, home and road, in 2012-13 on 23.2 Antenna TV. The games can also be viewed on Comcast cable channel-436, Charter cable channel-970 or Mediacom-101 in the Rockford market and online through AHLlive.com. Every game will be streamed through IceHogs.com as well and inside the BMO"ÂHarris Bank"ÂCenter on 104.3 FM. For a complete listing of TV stations carrying IceHogs games, visit IceHogs.com. Every broadcast will start with the U.S. Cellular Pregame before Mike Peck calls the action.
Illinois Lottery Cup Standings
lllinois Lottery Cup Series Standings
Teams Record Points
Rockford 13-10-0-1 27
Peoria 11-9-2-0 24
Chicago 10-11-1-0 21
Rockford vs. Chicago 6-5-0-1
Rockford vs. Peoria 7-5-0-0
HOG TALK SEASON FINALE TONIGHT
Rockford, Ill.- The season finale of Bud Light Hog Talk returns to District Bar and Grill from 6-7 p.m. tonight.
Tonight's show will feature IceHogs forward Brandon Pirri, along with head coach Ted Dent and goaltending coach Andrew Allen. The show will be hosted by IceHogs broadcaster, Mike Peck.
District is located at 205 West State St., one block north of the BMO"ÂHarris Bank Center. Fans can take advantage of food and drink specials during Bud Light Hog Talk and can also sign up to win some prizes courtesy of the IceHogs.
The show will be re-aired on Tuesday from 7-8 p.m. on 23.2 Antenna TV.
American Hockey League Stories from April 15, 2013
- Monarchs Weekly Report - Manchester Monarchs
- Hamilton Bulldogs Weekly - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Minnesota Assigns Defenseman Mathew Dumba - Houston Aeros
- Texas Stars Announce Details for Fan Appreciation Night - Texas Stars
- Stalock Grabs Milestone Win as Sharks Hit Final Stretch this Week - Worcester Sharks Weekly - Worcester Sharks
- IceHogs Set All-Time Average Attendance Record - Rockford IceHogs
- Crunch Weekly - Syracuse Crunch
- Ducks Reassign Forward Peter Holland to Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- San Antonio Rampage Weekly Update - San Antonio Rampage
- Coyotes Recall Nick Johnson and Chad Johnson from Portland - Portland Pirates
- Wolves Weekly Notes - Chicago Wolves
- Left Wing Ryan Stoa Re-Signed for 2013-2014 - Hershey Bears
- Bulldogs Recall Antoine Corbin from Bulls - Hamilton Bulldogs
- IceCaps Release Josh Godfrey from PTO - St. John's IceCaps
- Barons Defenseman Brandon Davidson Wins AHL's Fred T. Hunt Memorial Award - Oklahoma City Barons
- Oklahoma City's Brandon Davidson Named Winner of AHL's Fred T. Hunt Memorial Award - AHL
- Rampage Reassign Forward John McFarland to Cincinnati - San Antonio Rampage
- Flames Reassign Centre Ben Street to Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Defenseman Frank Corrado Joins Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Hogs Cap Week 27 with Much-Needed Victories - Rockford IceHogs
- Torey Krug Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - Providence Bruins
- Providence's Torey Krug Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- Falcons Announce First Two Home Playoff Dates - Springfield Falcons
- Phantoms Announce Scoville Gemstone Giveaway Night - Adirondack Phantoms
- Down To The Wire - Hershey Bears
- Admirals Release Forward Brayden Irwin from PTO - Norfolk Admirals
- Crunch Announce Dates for Game 1 and Game 2 of Eastern Conference Quarterfinal - Syracuse Crunch
- Whale Weekly - Connecticut Whale
- Pirates Weekly - Portland Pirates
- Hirschfeld Returns to Providence - Providence Bruins
- Texas Stars Rout San Antonio 8-2 to Clinch 2012-13 South Division - Texas Stars
- Marlies Fall 3-1 in Abbotsford - Toronto Marlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.