Power Play, Smothering Defense Push Thunder to Game 1 WinApril 10, 2013 - Central Hockey League (CHL) - Wichita Thunder Press Release
Fort Worth struck first when Shawn Szydlowski took a sharp angle shot from the right hash mark along the wall that got through Torrie Jung to make it 1-0 eight minutes into the game. Wichita answered quickly as Kevin Young was able to backhand a rebound through a scrum into the upper corner past Kristofer Westblom at 9:52. Wichita closed the game scoring four unanswered goals beginning with Young's tally.
Wichita pulled away in the second period, adding a pair of power play goals which was the turning point in the game. At 7:12, Chad Painchaud caught a pass at the right face-off dot and ripped a shot past Westblom to give the Thunder a 2-1 lead and the eventual game-winning-goal. RG Flath tipped home a Kevin Young point shot at 14:22 to up the lead to 3-1.
The Thunder defense was smothering in the third period, not allowing the Brahmas much of anything. When Jung was called upon, he was up to the task, making a terrific point-blank save on Colin Mulvey midway through the final frame. Flath would add his second goal of the post-season at 19:42 when he scooped up a loose puck at the red line and fired it into the empty-net to close the door and extend the lead to 4-1.
Wichita has won the last three post-season meetings against the Brahmas dating back to last year's series. The Thunder improves to 14-9 in Game 1's all-time and 36-19 at home in the playoffs. Young added a goal and two assists to take over the team-lead with nine points. Greger Hanson added an assist to keep his point-streak in the playoffs alive at five games. Flath finished with two goals while Jung earned his fifth win of the playoffs, stopping 22 of 23 shots he faced. Westblom took the loss, stopping 29 of 32 shots.
Wichita went 2-for-2 on the power play while Fort Worth was 0-for-4.
CHL Conference Semi-Finals - Series "F" (best-of-7)
Fort Worth Brahmas vs. Wichita Thunder
Game 1 - Wednesday, April 10th - Fort Worth at Wichita, 4-1 W
Game 2 - Thursday, April 11th - Fort Worth at Wichita, 7:05 p.m.
Game 3 - Thursday, April 18th - Wichita at Fort Worth, 7:30 p.m.
Game 4 - Saturday, April 20th - Wichita at Fort Worth, 7:30 p.m.
*Game 5 - Sunday, April 21st - Fort Worth at Wichita, 5:05 p.m.
*Game 6 - Tuesday, April 23rd - Wichita at Fort Worth, 7:00 p.m.
*Game 7 - Wednesday, April 24th - Fort Worth at Wichita, 7:05 p.m.
Thunder leads series 1-0
(All times Central)
Wichita hosts Fort Worth in Game 2 tomorrow night at 7:05 p.m. For tickets, call 755-SEAT, visit the INTRUST Bank Arena box office or online at www.selectaseat.com .
Wichita Thunder season tickets for 2013-14 are now on sale. A $50 dollar non-refundable deposit is required for all season tickets. Contact the Wichita Thunder Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. at (316) 264-4625 or visit the fan relations table behind section 120 at any Wichita Thunder home game for more information. Join the Blue Revolution today!
Central Hockey League Stories from April 10, 2013
- Rush Season Comes to a Close with 5-1 Loss in Game 6 - Rapid City Rush
- Mavericks Announce CHL Semifinals Schedule vs. Allen Americans - Missouri Mavericks
- Mavericks Advance to CHL Semifinals with Convincing 5-1 Win over Rapid City - Missouri Mavericks
- Power Play, Smothering Defense Push Thunder to Game 1 Win - Wichita Thunder
- Allen/Missouri Conference Semifinals Series Set - CHL
- Brahmas Fall to Thunder in Game One - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Thunder Finalize CHL Semi-Final Schedule vs. Fort Worth - Wichita Thunder
- Entire Semi-Final Series Schedule Announced - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Wichita/Fort Worth Conference Semifinals Series Set - CHL
- Central Hockey League's Newest Team to be Known as Brampton Beast - CHL
- Russell Stover Hockey Tier I to Partner with Jr. Mavs Hockey Organization - Missouri Mavericks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.